Aldeburgh, Slaughden and Orford Sailing Clubs are racing for ‘Bart’ Simpson
- Credit: Archant
September 18 is the day the world goes sailing in memory of the Olympic sailor
Sailors of all ages from Aldeburgh Yacht Club, Slaughden Sailing Club and Orford Sailing Club will join thousands of sailors across the globe to take part in the world’s largest sailing event, Bart’s Bash, September 17-18.
Bart’s Bash is an annual fundraising and mass participation campaign in aid of and organised by the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation. It unites sailors from across the globe to participate in one colossal global sailing event in memory of the Olympic sailor, Andrew ‘Bart’ Simpson. Venues, from sailing clubs to windsurfing groups, host a race which welcomes all, while raising funds for the charity. It’s the day the world goes sailing.
The sailing clubs at Aldeburgh, Slaughden and Orford will be again combine forces to hold a joint event on Sunday September 18 at Aldeburgh. Previous races have seen up to 60 boats taking part, and another big turnout is expected this year.
Steve Liddell, Rear Commodore of Aldeburgh Yacht Club said: “For the third year, our three local clubs will be joining together to have a fun race on the river, and to race funds for this worthwhile cause.”
Bart’s Bash now in its third year, is organised by the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation (ASSF) and so far has seen more than 40,000 people taking part in 62 countries. This year it coincides with the end of the Rio 2016 Paralympics sailing event and will be raising funds and awareness for disabled sailing around the world.
ASSF Founding Trustee Sir Ben Ainslie said: “We, as a foundation, are delighted to see Bart’s Bash continue to grow as an event, and we’re all looking forward to getting on the water to have some fun in Bart’s name.”
- 1 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 2 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 3 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 4 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 5 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 6 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 7 Win a diamond ring worth £1,000
- 8 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 9 Yorkshire Wolds walk - Thixendale to Hanging Grimston
- 10 Win a watercolour painting of Gosfield by artist James Merriott
Find out more information at www.bartsbash.com. Contact: Michael Haigh, RYA Eastern Region, firstname.lastname@example.org, Karoline Newman, Aldeburgh Yacht Club, 07850 072061, email@example.com.