Win a watercolour painting of Ashen by artist James Merriott
- Credit: Archant
James Merriott resumes his watercolour tour of the county with a welcome opportunity to explore a village that was new to him, but a charming surprise
After the restrictions of Covid-19, it is a joy to finally return to my monthly visits of Essex villages and the exploration of some of the county’s most beautiful landscapes. To make the most of this road trip, my wife Joan and I took the opportunity to look up our close friends in the Suffolk village of Clare. On route we found the beautiful and tranquil village of Ashen, smiling in the sunshine and offering a great selection of subjects for this watercolour feature.
I am never left short of inspiration as I tour the county on my monthly visits to discover picturesque buildings and village scenes, and Ashen was no exception. Not only was the village stunningly beautiful, but also very exciting to me. I discovered the aptly-named Sideways Cottage completely enchanting. Then, beyond the village centre, Ashen Hall and barns were equally captivating.
Going on to Clare through the magnificent Stour Valley countryside at its brilliant best, we were graciously welcomed by our friends Valerie and David. It was so nice to be able to enlighten them enthusiastically of the beauty of Ashen. The best part of the day followed in their colourful garden with a glass of wine and David’s gluten-free sausage sandwiches. For me, perfection.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 3 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 6 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 7 Sing along to the Cheshire Life song
- 8 10 Dorset towns you really must visit
- 9 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 10 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
For your chance to win James’ original painting of Ashen Hall (pictured top), fill in the form below and answer the question:
This competition closes at 11.45pm on November 30, 2020
You can contact James at Cottage Corner Art, 9 Byron Road, Hutton, Brentwood CM13 2RU (call 01277 210728 to make an appointment)