5 of the best butchers in Sussex
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Whether you’re planning for barbecue season or hosting a special dinner party, it pays to be friendly with your local butcher.
Winner of Butcher of the Year at the 2015 Celebration of Sussex Life Awards, this Pulborough shop sources all produce from farms within a 20-mile radius where possible. It’s not all about meat either, with extras such as pies, eggs and chutneys all available.
Stane Street, Pulborough RH20 1BQ
As well as selling locally reared meat and hand-made products such as sausages and burgers, Arcade Butchers specialise in a range of exotic meats including crocodile, kangaroo, snake, reindeer and zebra; although they do advise phoning to confirm availability. Game birds such as partridge, snipe and quail are all available.
2-4 Queens Arcade, Hastings TN34 1PA
- 1 Who is the real Hampshire soldier behind BBC Two's new drama Danny Boy?
- 2 Win £500 of English wine from Lyme Bay Winery
- 3 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 4 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 5 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 6 Win a modern Guernsey cushion cover kit
- 7 13 beautiful riverside pubs to visit in the Cotswolds
- 8 Cornwall's weirdest pub names
- 9 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 10 6 wonderful seafood restaurants to visit in Yorkshire
The butcher at this East Sussex farm shop sources meat as locally and ethically as possible, even rearing beef and lamb on site. Staff at Holmansbridge will be happy to lend a hand if you require cooking instructions and advice for recipes. If you can’t make it to the farm shop in person, they offer a delivery service for orders over £10.
Townlittleworth Road, Barcombe, BN8 4TD
Based in Hurstpierpoint for more than 100 years, this butcher has built up a reputation for serving produce from local farmers and suppliers. Various game is available when in season but their pride and joy is the offering of more than 45 varieties of homemade sausages and prepared meats including Italian meatballs and minted lamb steaks.
2 Cuckfield Road, Hurstpierpoint BN6 9RU
They may have a selection of highly praised meat (around Christmas there are queues for miles), but a trip to Canham & Sons is more than just an opportunity to pick up ingredients for dinner. There are plenty of snack and lunch offerings with amazing pasties, brownies and scones to scoff on.
48 Church Road, Hove BN3 2FN
One reader got in touch to say...
“Our local Butcher, Jarvis’ is absolutely great, and they make the most amazing sausages, called Burwash Beauties”. F.J.Jarvis & Sons are based in Burwash and Etchingham. You can find out more here.