A Glass of Herts - Chiltern Brewery
- Credit: Archant
Laura Vickers’ pick of the county’s drinks
A key beer trend for 2016 is experimental varieties and that’s exactly what you’ll find at the Chiltern Brewery.
Just over the Herts border in the village of Terrick, Buckinghamshire, the brewery has been operating since 1980 when it was founded by husband and wife Richard and Lesley Jenkinson. Their sons George and Tom have since taken the helm, and recently the brothers have been experimenting with limited edition brews in collaboration with other family-run drinks producers whose products they stock in their brewery ‘tap’ The King’s Head pub in Aylesbury.
In March they created Earl Grey IPA, a refreshing spring ale infused with an east African tea sourced from the long-standing Birchall tea company, and the resulting citrus-packed, spicy and floral brew took four months to perfect.
Then, in April, they combined forces with London-based Chartley Coffee and released a Colombian coffee porter, made using a Colombian coffee bean that is gently roasted especially for the brewery. The resulting beer is smooth and balanced with a café crème finish.
Head brewer Tom Jenkinson said, ‘The best ideas come over a pint – or indeed a flat white! A cousin introduced us to Birchall, and we struck up a conversation with the father and son team at Chartley at a market stall in London on a fresh winter’s day. We love to challenge ourselves and push the boundaries of flavour, but it has to taste good. We loved both the beers and both companies gave us expert help recommending the perfect tea and coffee bean varieties.’
There’s a whole calendar of other limited-edition brews planned, explore at chilternbrewery.co.uk
- 1 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 2 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 3 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 4 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 5 10 great circular walks in Cheshire
- 6 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views
- 9 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 10 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire