A Glass of Herts with Laura Vickers
- Credit: Archant
Our drinks expert takes a look at the award-winning Buntingford Brewery
Buntingford Brewery will be a familiar name to Herts pub regulars as it supplies around 100 outlets in the area (and the appreciation goes much further afield).
Although the brewery only began full-time production in 2005, after it moved premises from Buntingford to just outside Royston, last year it came overall second in the Campaign for Real Ales’ Champion Beer of Britain Awards. It also scooped three individual awards – more than any other brewery.
For such impressive achievements, the brewery team don’t take themselves too seriously. A glance at the tongue-in-cheek employee biographies on the website buntingfordbrewery.co.uk will have you chuckling into your pint. As will its suggestion that you address complaints to the Person Nearest the Bin.
The refreshing attitude to public relations is matched by its refreshing range of beers. From blondes to bitters, and ruby to amber ales, there’s something for everyone, and the brewery prides itself on using only the top hops farms, both in the UK and beyond.
So what should you be drinking now, as March offers the possibility of sunshine and budding flowers to make the pub garden look a more inviting place to sit?
Try Full Tilt - Buntingford Brewery’s spring seasonal beer. It’s an amber, hoppy ale that fits the bill perfectly. Zesty citrus flavours and a pleasing bitterness produce a mouth-watering character, but at 4.1 per cent it’s not too light and fluffy for the inevitable showers to come.
- 1 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 2 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 3 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 4 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 5 10 great circular walks in Cheshire
- 6 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views
- 9 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 10 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
Find Herts stockists at buntingfordbrewery.co.uk/outlets