Airy Fairy Cake Boutique - a delight in Didsbury
An old-fashioned cake and tea room in Didsbury is proving to be a new delight
A young Didsbury woman is hoping her new cake shop and tea room is the recipe for success. Laura Draper, aged 26, has given a rundown former newspaper office a pretty makeover in 1950s style and reinvented it as The Airyfairy Cake Boutique.
The transformation of the old Reporter office on the corner on School Lane and Winifred Road includes old furniture rescued from a house conversion and 1950's Avery sweet shop scales.
And it is delighting sweet-toothed locals with its range of treats for the eyes as well as the tastebuds. From cupcakes to cheesecakes, brownies to layer cakes and creamy milkshakes to cake pops, there is something for everyone, says Laura.
She explained her love of all things sweet and old: ‘My grandparents owned a cake shop before I was born and I've always loved to bake. My Dad has always collected 1950's advertising memorabilia and coupling this with the shop d�cor seemed a logical thing to do.’
Laura says that supporting other local independent businesses is at the heart of the Airyfairy ethos, as is using local suppliers for fruit and vegetables, handmade cards and gifts. She’ll also be joining with other businesses to host events, competitions and support community initiatives.
The family-friendly venue is available to hire for parties and events and offers cupcake decorating classes as well as knitting, sewing and jewellery classes through sister business ‘The Classroom on School Lane’ located upstairs from the Cake Boutique.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 3 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 6 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 7 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 8 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 9 Bluebell walks in Suffolk: Beautiful spring woodlands to explore
- 10 Bluebell woods in Derbyshire: Top 5 places to go for woodland walks