An unusual range of salamis
- Credit: sharon struckman
Fine foodie: Sharon Struckman finds an unusual range of salamis for the non-conformist
The festive season is fast approaching – a time when we are likely to be entertaining friends and family. Finding something different and interesting to serve is always a challenge, but I have found a delicious product for the Christmas non-conformist.
Based in the town of Tring, Mat Leaver has mastered the technique of handcrafting exceptional and flavoursome salamis (pictured). His gourmet products are made with a special blend of spices which add a distinctive richness to the meat.
It’s been known for millennia that the action of salt or fermentation, or a combination of both, preserves foodstuffs. Not only do these techniques keep food fresh for much longer, they also change its flavour – luckily for us, most often into something delicious and quite extraordinary.
Mat’s company, Curious Foods, is about reviving food-making traditions and ‘creating interesting products for interested people’. The archaic meaning of the word ‘curious’ is ‘made with care’ and that is what Curious Foods is about. Mat takes care with the sourcing and the treatment of what goes into his products as well as what it tastes like. Flavours include beetroot, quinoa and caraway; perry and tarragon; the ‘Ashbrook’ Asian salami; fennel, cumin and garlic; the ‘Umami’ Salami, and the Spicy ‘Harizo’. And there is always something new and exciting being developed.
So this Christmas, stand out from the crowd and serve a Curious salami sliced thin on top of an olive oil and rosemary cracker or alongside one of our great British cheeses. Or take it to a dinner party or ship it to a loved one. It’s sure to add a touch of excitement to the table.
All flavours come in sliced 50g or whole 100-150g salami packs. See curiousfoods.co.uk to order.
- 1 Win a holiday for two on the Isles of Scilly
- 2 Sussex pubs with beer gardens to visit this summer
- 3 12 of the best places to eat al fresco in Yorkshire
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 16 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 6 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 7 Great pubs with pretty beer gardens in Kent
- 8 Win a selection of Provence Rose wine
- 9 10 pubs with pretty beer gardens in Canterbury
- 10 21 of the best places to eat al fresco in Hampshire