Chef profile - Marc Wilkinson, Fraiche
- Credit: Archant
Oxton restuarant has held a Michelin star for ten years
Marc Wilkinson’s Fraiche is something of a gem. It is the only Michelin-starred restaurant in the Wirral and Merseyside area. Marc’s intimate restaurant in Oxton opened in 2004, and since receiving his first star in 2007 has held it for ten consecutive years.
‘It’s certainly not easy! But my mission was to put the area on the culinary map,’ said Marc, who before owning his own restaurant worked in a fine dining establishment in Surrey. His father was born in St Helens and his mother in Huyton, so he has strong ties to the area.
‘I originally looked at Liverpool but I couldn’t afford the rates. The opportunity arose to purchase this building but it needed a full refurbishment, which was great as I could make it my own, shaping it the way I wanted as it’s an extension of my personality.’
Despite being at the top of his game, Marc says that he is pushing himself now more than ever. He sources his produce from around the world to ensure it’s the very best, and after years of working in the kitchen alone, he has taken on someone to assist him.
‘Cooking alone is physically and mentally brutal, especially when it’s Michelin star and everyone has expectations. I think the food, service and dining room is at the best it’s ever been right now,’ said Marc.
Fraiche’s dining area is a modern space created with a theme of natural elements inspired by the shoreline. Marc has carefully chosen the music, lighting and visual displays to reflect a nature theme and the ever-changing seasons.
- 1 Win a luxury Christmas hamper worth £250 from Bakers & Larners of Holt
- 2 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 3 WIN a stunning Jo Downs art piece worth £520
- 4 8 beautiful towns in Kent to visit over Christmas
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 6 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 7 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 8 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 9 12 of the best Christmas events in Surrey
- 10 Magical Christmas markets in Kent 2021
Away from the restaurant and relaxing at home, Marc likes to keep his food simple. One of his favourite things to make is a cheese, onion and truffle pasty on his George Foreman grill, or a few slices of toast.
‘I love toast! In my realm I taste and cook langoustines, scallops etc as my day job, so it’s not quite the same when you get home.’