Christmas food shopping at Norwich Market
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
From fruit, fish and artisan cheese to flowers, curries and cakes – Norwich Market, winner of the Best Independent Food & Drink Retailer, sponsored by the Eastern Daily Press, is the place to shop and eat this Christmas
Norwich Market has been the focal point of trade for almost a thousand years – and it remains just as important to the city today – especially at Christmas when it comes alive with hustle, bustle and plenty of festive spirit.
But while it has long been a great place to get all the supplies you need for a bumper festive feast - it is now a hub for excellent street food, perfect for refuelling during Christmas shopping.
Whether you want a bacon roll or fish and chips, a Vietnamese curry or sugary churro, the market now has a fantastic food offering.
“We have always had popular hot food stalls, but recently we have really grown that side of the market,” says market manager Kristina Fox. “We want the market to be very inclusive. We don’t want it to be over gentrified, it is for everyone to enjoy and be a part of.
“Some of the businesses have been here, supporting the market for many, many years, some are completely new. We have tried to create a really positive blend to suit all budgets and backgrounds. It caters for every taste and price point with the same friendly service and atmosphere wherever you go.”
The market’s stalls offer cuisine from around the corner and across the globe. Some have a smattering of tables and stools to perch on, at others it is a case of taking away – but there are plenty of places to sit close by while soaking up the city’s festive atmosphere.
- 1 13 beautiful riverside pubs to visit in the Cotswolds
- 2 Who is the real Hampshire soldier behind BBC Two's new drama Danny Boy?
- 3 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 4 6 wonderful seafood restaurants to visit in Yorkshire
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 6 Five hot new restaurants opening in Sussex
- 7 Bluebell walks in Dorset: 8 of the best places to go
- 8 A 5.3 mile circular walk around Sandwich
- 9 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 10 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
“We have Tasty House, which sells a huge array of South East Asian food, including a great Pad Thai; Jakey le Bakey, which sells French food – including an amazing steak frites and beef bourguignon and the Chilean homecooking of Cocina Mia.
“Then you have the fabulous traditional stalls which have been at the heart of the market for years – such as Deb’s, with her delicious tea cakes and a welcome cuppa, the Mushy Pea stall, Lucy’s Fish and Chips and the All Electric Banger Stop with some of the best homemade sausages you will taste. Take time to explore and we hope you will find something new this Christmas.”