Come to Burscough to try baking at its best
- Credit: Archant
The award winning Artisan Foodworks bakery and the Merlin’s Bakery Café have plenty to offer food lovers. Here are a few reasons to visit.
1. Delicious homemade food.
If you love excellent yet innovative homemade food and are constantly searching for bread that tastes like it did when you were a child, you should visit Merlin’s Bakery Café.
Merlin’s prides itself on serving up tasty, wholesome, rustic dishes all prepared from scratch in our own kitchen or the bakery. We offer an exciting and innovative breakfast and lunch menu, as well as ever-changing daily specials. All our bread is baked by hand in our bakery, as well as a large range of cakes, pies, biscuits and quiches.
The café is fully licensed, and there is plenty of free parking. We have a lovely upstairs dining area, and during warm weather you can sit and relax outside close to the lovely tranquil pond. We also offer a take-away service and corporate lunch service for local businesses.
2. Try Real Bread
At Artisan Foodworks we make our bread to meet the criteria of the Real Bread Campaign, in our Real Bread we use just flour, water, yeast and salt.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 3 Tolkien fans won't want to miss this Middle-Earth exhibition in Basingstoke
- 4 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' festival is heading to Bournemouth
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 9 13 of the best afternoon teas to try in Cornwall
- 10 6 of the best August walks in Cheshire
- We use no artificial additives in any of our bread. - To provide variety we add carefully sourced ingredients such as nuts, seeds, and vegetables.
Other differences between our bread and mass produced loaves include:
- A long fermentation process of at least 4 hours to allow the yeast to do its work in its own time – no hurrying it along with additives. - It’s made in one continuous process – no part-baking or freezing of the dough. - Made using UK milled flour. - Has a salt content of less than 1% of the final product weight in line with FSA guideline
As well as bread, the bakery makes delicious high quality savoury pies and cakes. Products are for sale in Merlin’s Bakery Café and also available to order online and for wholesale.
3. Learn to make and bake your own Real Bread.
At Artisan Foodworks we offer several different bread making classes, Real bread making for beginners; introduction to sourdough; world breads; and croissants, Danish pastries and sticky buns.
Classes start at 9.30 am and finish between 4 and 4.30pm depending on bread proving times. Morning coffee, a 2 course lunch, afternoon tea, and all the bread you make on the day – typically 5 different types – are included in the cost… oh and of course the all-important dough scraper!
Full day classes are from £105 per person and vouchers are also available to buy as a gift. Book online or give us a call on 0845 8602141.
4. Support Local Producers
When you visit us you will also be supporting the local businesses we use such as Greaves Butchers (Up Holland) Stanley’s Veg Shop (Birkdale), Funky Nut Co peanut butter (Liverpool), Joe Black coffee (Liverpool), Bannister Farm Dairy (Parbold). We also supply local honey from our own bees (when the bees have some spare for us… )
Unit 703 Merlin Park Ringtail Road Burscough Nr Ormskirk L40 8JY
Tel: 0845 8602141