Carden Park’s Cyril Gabriel wins 2018 North West Young Chef of the Year title
- Credit: Mark Carr, Vaadhoo Limited
Senior sous chef, 23-year-old Cyril Gabriel wins prestigious award
Senior sous chef Cyril Gabriel from Carden Park is one to watch. He has scooped the title of North West Young Chef for 2018 in a tense six-way cook off at Cheshire College – South and West.
Cyril, 23, saw off tough competition. The judging team included Essential Cuisine Business Development Chef, Jonathan Harvey-Barnes; ex-Le Gavroche head chef, Steven Doherty; Paul Askew of Liverpool’s The Art School; Graham Price, formerly of pub group Brunning & Price, and Master Chef of Great Britain Brian Mellor.
Cyril – making his second appearance in the competition – was praised by judges for his determination, his methodical approach and handle of flavour.
His menu consisted of: Wye valley asparagus with free range poached egg and Hollandaise sauce starter; a main course of Welsh mountain Lamb saddle served with pickled baby carrots, pea textures, carrot jam, creamy mashed potato and lamb jus and a lime biscuit Dacquoise served with cherry cremeux, stuffed caramelised cherry, praline Chantilly cream, lemon balm and cherry beer ice cream dessert.
Cyril said: ‘For the final I submitted a more challenging menu than the one in the semi-final as I wanted to show more skill. I was nervous but once I got in the kitchen and started cooking, the nerves fell away.’
Cyril won £500, a weekend at The Mere Golf Resort & Spa, and entry into the semi-finals of the Craft Guild of Chefs’ Young Chef of the Year competition.
- 1 Win a luxury Christmas hamper worth £250 from Bakers & Larners of Holt
- 2 WIN a stunning Jo Downs art piece worth £520
- 3 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 4 8 beautiful towns in Kent to visit over Christmas
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 6 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 7 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 8 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 9 12 of the best Christmas events in Surrey
- 10 Magical Christmas markets in Kent 2021
Other finalists were runner up Mai Trising (Black Swan Hotel), Alasdair Aitken (Chef’s Table in Chester), Oliver Mather (Punchbowl), Ruairi Erwin (Northcote) and Sion Hughes (Rogan & Co).