Dorset named best place for afternoon tea in the country
- Credit: Sebastian Coman Photography, Unsplash
A recent study has shown that Dorset is the best county in the UK for afternoon tea. To celebrate, we reveal our favourite spots to try.
Sometimes, nothing beats a trip to a café or restaurant to enjoy an afternoon tea: the ultimate indulgent treat where the sandwiches are plentiful and the cakes are scrummy. Whether it's a birthday celebration or a well-earned weekend outing, there is no situation that cannot be made better by the arrival of a tiered plate of delicious mini foods.
Dorset Coastal Cottages were delighted to reveal that our own county of Dorset is in fact the best place for afternoon tea in the county - not that we needed telling! Using data from review sites like Tripadvisor, they analysed the breadth and width of the UK to find the best and most popular locations.
They found that the South still dominates the industry, picking up three of the top five spots for best areas to go. The highest rankers were as follows:
- Isle of White
In all of Dorset, the most highly reviewed location for afternoon tea was the Garden Gate Tea Room in Wareham. They are a delightful traditional tea room 'Where Friends Meet', offering afternoon teas, espresso coffees, sandwiches and much more. Reviewers have called them a hidden gem and praised their homely food.
Shannon Keary, Digital PR Manager at Dorset Coastal Cottages, commented on the study:
“With the hit that many local businesses have taken over the last year, it’s really encouraging to see that Brits are still actively supporting tea rooms and shouting about them online.
“With staycations at an all-time high this year, now is a great time for people to explore different parts of the country and enjoy a quintessential part of British culture - whether you think that scones should be topped with jam or cream first!”
- 1 How the Goosnargh Gin distillery bounced back from adversity
- 2 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 5 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 6 The best second-hand bookshops in Suffolk
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 10 of the best beaches for swimming in Devon
- 10 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
Looking for the perfect afternoon tea near you? We've got you covered:
- These are our 13 favourite spots for afternoon tea in the county
- If you're in Bournemouth, then they have 8 amazing places to try
Alternatively, if you want all the comforts of afternoon tea from home, you make like these:
- Comins Tea House reveals the secret to the perfect cup of tea
- Steve Titman of Summer Lodge shares his afternoon tea recipes