DRINKS PRODUCT OF THE YEAR WINNER AT THE CORNWALL LIFE FOOD AND DRINK AWARDS 2015
Nominees for this category were delicious drink products, produced by hardworking and passionate local people
Sponsored byThe Atlantic Hotel
Winner: Polgoon Vineyard, Penzance
After trading as fish merchants for many years, Kim and John Coulson decided they wanted a new adventure and after meeting an award-winning Cornish winemaker they decided to plant vines and create their own Cornish vineyard. They received an award for their very first Rose wine in 2006 and have continued to gain accolades since. Readers praised the hard work and craft that goes into their all-Cornish drinks and love the interesting varieties.
Highly commended: Cornish Orchards, Duloe
Originally a dairy farmer, Andy Atkinson planted his first orchards after being inspired by Cornwall Council’s project to replant traditional apple orchards and encourage birds and wildlife to flourish. After juicing, blending and hand labelling his first batch of apple juices and quickly selling out at a local farmers market, he threw away his wellies and took the plunge to diversify his dairy farm to juice and cider making. Today they have a team of over 30 who work hard to produce premium juices and cider, which readers described as Cornwall in a glass’.
Highly commended: St Austell Brewery
Nominated specifically for their Proper Job beer, St Austell brewery was founded in 1851 by Cornishman Walter Hicks, and it remains 100% independent and family owned. Joining its peers Tribute and Korev among others, Proper Job is an authentic IPA brewed with Cornish spring water and a single malt made from Cornish grown Maris Otter Pale barley. Readers love that St Austell are proud of their local Cornish history and are flying the flag for Cornwall worldwide from Barcelona to Brazil.
- 1 Win a luxury Christmas hamper worth £250 from Bakers & Larners of Holt
- 2 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 3 Win a theatre break in Manchester to see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- 4 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 6 WIN a stunning Jo Downs art piece worth £520
- 7 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 8 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 9 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021
- 10 5 of the best Somerset farm shops for Christmas shopping