Rockfish overcomes Lockdown 2 with unique harbourside fish market
- Credit: Archant
Fresh catches will be on sale every day outside restaurant
Its restaurant doors may be shut for Lockdown 2, but Rockfish has opened a retail fish market in Brixham.
It’s a novel idea, where you can buy fish almost as if you’ve popped into the town’s nearby working fish market and auction itself. The ‘shop’, which is open from Wednesday to Saturday, is on the harbourside, underneath the Rockfish seafood restaurant, and next door to where the boats land their fish.
It’s not like a normal fishmonger, as all of the fish is presented on ice in boxes; there is no display counter, the idea being to capture the feel of a working fish market. This also means that the fish is as fresh as it can be, having been landed each day, prepared in a facility next door and walked over to the shop each morning.
READ MORE: New gluten free and vegan beer launched in Devon
There will be a selection of whole fish, filleted fish, tranches, steaks and portions and, to make it easy for home cooking, everything will be trimmed, gutted and prepared ready to cook.
In addition to selling catch from the Brixham fish auction, the Rockfish shop will sell fish from its own boat, Rockfisher, which is out at sea whenever the weather allows along the southern coast seaboard.
During lockdown the Rockfish retail fish market is operating a click and collect service. Customers can go online each morning from 7am, see what’s been landed, order and pay and then collect later in the day. From 3 December, or when restrictions are lifted, people will be able to visit the shop – although click and collect will still be available.
Rockfish has always championed using local seafood and has five restaurants along the South Devon coast, along with two in Dorset, all in seaside towns where there is a local fishing industry.
Join our Facebook group to keep up to date with the latest news, events and people in Devon
- 1 Win a £1000 rug from Alternative Flooring
- 2 Win a Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker
- 3 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 4 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 6 How Louise Minchin will be spending Christmas 2021after I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here!...
- 7 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 8 Surrey Life meets Strictly costume designer Vicky Gill
- 9 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021
- 10 The 15 best Christmas markets in Norfolk 2021