Eating out at the Ship Inn at Levington
Our Quick Bites reviewer enjoys local food and ale at a favourite watering hole, The Ship Inn at Levington
Where is the Ship Inn?
In the village of Levington, between Ipswich and Felixstowe, next to the church.
Is it nice inside?
Yes, it’s a lovely beamed pub which has been thoughtfully extended and modernised. The bar at the front is cosy and comfortable, while the dining room is light and airy. The owners seem to be collecting classy ship themed artefacts, which add to the ambience.
While once a best kept secret, that isn’t the case now?
- 1 10 excellent fish and chip shops in Kent
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 4 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 5 11 of the most Instagrammble locations in Hampshire
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 17 of the best things to do in Essex for free
- 8 18 things to do in the Cotswolds in August
- 9 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 Win a three nights stay at Nydsley Hall in Pateley Bridge
It’s always been popular as a pub and each time I’ve been there the dining room has been busy. It’s popular for Sunday lunch and because it has such a lovely setting above the River Orwell it’s nice to sit out front and admire the view.
Who eats there?
Couples, families, groups of friends, locals and people from further afield.
What did you have?
We both started with a pint of prawns, which were locally smoked at Felixstowe Ferry and served in a beer mug with delicious nutty brown bread and butter and fresh mayonnaise.
I followed that with loin of Felixstowe cod on smashed new potatoes and wilted spinach with capers and tomatoes. It was simple, fresh and full of flavour.
My dining companion chose a chicken dish, which he said was cooked to perfection and very tasty. The Ship is a real ale pub, so we drank Adnams with our meal.
None. The service was friendly and the food excellent. It’s not the cheapest of pub restaurants, but it’s worth every penny. I’ve heard complaints that the pub isn’t keen on people drinking without ordering a meal, but few pubs can get by without their food trade. Better that than lose them altogether!
Ship Inn, Church Lane, Levington, Suffolk IP10 0LQ Tel: 01473 659 573