Restaurant review - Angkor Soul, Marple
- Credit: Archant
Digest this mini review in 60 seconds
It’s 6pm on a school night and Angkor Soul’s 30-cover room is packed. The diners are all ages and there’s a casual, laidback feel. The waft of cooking from the kitchen is sublime. The only problem is the menu. It’s so exciting that you have to rein in the desire to order it all. I haven’t been to Cambodia but if the food here is anything to go by I’m heading there on my next holiday.
The menu is split into Starters, Angkor Noodles, Angkor Plates, Sides and a children’s. We give into temptation and order three starters even though there’s only two of us. Avocado crispy rolls, £4.50, reveal an interior of lush creamy avo with a tang of coriander, delicious but amazing when dipped into a coriander sauce. Another superb sauce accompanies fried pieces of tofu and Angkor cauliflower, £6.95 has light batter and a sweet glaze and an addictive kick of chilli. For mains Loc Lac,£14.95, a French colonial dish offsets caramelised sweet chicken pieces with citrussy salad while Cha Mee, £12.95 is a huge plate of sweet sticky sauteed noodles and peanuts with crunchy spring onions and beansprouts.
DECOR AND AMBIENCE
Bustling boho vibe and there’s even a retro record store on site.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 It’s a Cotswold hat-trick at Chelsea!
- 3 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 12 great things to do in Tiverton
- 6 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 7 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 10 7 of the best spas in Sussex
Young and friendly. There is some waiting time as everything is cooked fresh. Depending upon whether you’ve booked a 90 minute or two hour slot they are diplomatic when it’s time to vacate your place at the table.
Lunch with drinks and wine came to £69.
Angkor Soul, 12 Stockport Road, Marple, SK6 6BJ. Tel: 0161 222 0707