Restaurant review - Artichoke, Chester
- Credit: not Archant
Digest this mini-review in 60 seconds
Overlooking the Shropshire Union Canal, Artichoke has a picturesque setting and is a perfect location for some al fresco dining, weather permitting. The interior is equally as aesthetically pleasing, as the low ceilings, exposed wooden beams and bare brick walls give the converted warehouse an intimate and cosy atmosphere.
We opted for a sharing starter of mixed salami, comté and gorgonzola cheese, olives, cornichons, bread and crostinis (£9.50). It was the perfect portion size, allowing room for the main course, and the little cornichons were tiny mouthfuls of deliciousness, tying together every tasty element. I ordered the mussels for the main course and they arrived gloriously swimming in a moreish paprika, cream and fennel sauce, accompanied by some classic French fries and garlic mayonnaise (£15.95). My companion opted for lamb rump, perfectly cooked with rosemary and garlic potatoes, lavender fine beans and a glossy and rich lamb sauce (£16.95). It would have been rude not to tuck into some homemade cakes and tarts so beautifully displayed. The only option for a pair of self- confessed chocoholics was the dark chocolate and salted pistachio tart (£5.75), which we agreed, certainly tasted as good as it sounds.
All of the staff were attentive, friendly and happy to help.
- 1 Afternoon tea delivery in Suffolk
- 2 Which flooded village lies beneath Ladybower Reservoir?
- 3 How to be a flexitarian
- 4 Photography focus: 5 stunning Yorkshire Dales landscapes
- 5 Take a tour of Cornwall’s picturesque harbours
- 6 Celebrate the famous women born in Norfolk and Suffolk this International Women’s Day
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 6 of the best home workouts to try
- 9 Afternoon tea deliveries in the Cotswolds
- 10 12 beautiful photographs of daffodils in Yorkshire
All of the above, including a bottle of the Il Badalisc Pinot Grigio (£16.95) came to a modest £70.85, a reasonable price for tasty, good quality food.
Artichoke, Steam Mill Street, Chester, CH3 5AN Tel: 01244 329229