Restaurant review - Beef and Pudding, Manchester
- Credit: Archant
Digest this mini review in 60 seconds
This is the latest opening by the Cheshire-based New Moon Pub Company, and these guys know what they’re doing! Head chef Dave Mooney and business partner Paul Newman have a winning formula. Beef and Pudding is located in the heart of the business community but only a stride from the busy shopping area. This is superior pub food in a lively setting and the comfortable bar area gives the impression they’re keen to lure after-work drinkers too.
Unusual and hearty dishes. For example, starters include tempura monkfish cheeks (£8.95), dripping pig ribs (£5.95) and oak smoked mackerel fillet (£6.95). But my friend and I shared one of four ‘planks’, choosing The Sunny (£14.95) which comprised pepper coated potato skins, charred watermelon, beef tomato and smoked mozarella, cheese bon bons, tomato and chilli dip and artisan bread. Fabulous! For mains I enjoyed Sea Bass Fillet Martini (£16.95) - a huge piece of fish kind of stuffed with olives and tomato in vodka, plus new potatoes. My friend made light work of Flattened English Rump Steak (£16.95) with a ‘dry rub’ of paprika and chilli and shoestring fries. Interesting desserts followed: I had an exquisite chocolate mousse (£5.95) and across the table a clever take on Peaches and Cream (£5.95) slipped down swiftly.
Decor and ambience
It reminds me of those pubs near the City of London which seem to attract more business men than women, and I can never (speaking as a female) understand why. Put your head around the door, ladies, you’ll love it.
- 1 Win a luxury Christmas hamper worth £250 from Bakers & Larners of Holt
- 2 WIN a stunning Jo Downs art piece worth £520
- 3 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 4 8 beautiful towns in Kent to visit over Christmas
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 6 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 7 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 8 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 9 12 of the best Christmas events in Surrey
- 10 Magical Christmas markets in Kent 2021
Our server, Jack, was very efficient while seeming laid-back and friendly at the same time.
It’s not a bargain but it’s good value. Our dinner for two with a bottle of wine, three courses and coffee was £90 but this is quality food.
Beef & Pudding
37 Booth Street
Manchester city centre
M2 4AA Tel:0161 237 3733