Restaurant review - Greens, West Didsbury
- Credit: Archant
Digest this mini-review in 60 seconds
STYLE OF VENUE The vegetarian restaurant which made Simon Rimmer’s name, situated in a row of shops in a lively area of Didsbury.
ON THE MENU For an all-vegetarian restaurant, the menu options at Greens offer a great range of filling, hearty dishes. Influences from the world over are visible even in the selection of starters, such as with the rice noodle salad (£5.95), which enlivens the traditional salad set-up of tomatoes and cucumber with thin noodles, peanuts and a spiced nam jim dressing. Similarly, the goats’ cheese spring roll (£6.25) is a daring combination which is refreshing and satisfying. However, Greens really shines in its main courses: the Jamaican pepper pot stew (£12.95) makes fantastic use of sweet potatoes and peppers, and comes served with rice, beans, and sweet potato chips. The pea and potato curry (£12.95) is a no-nonsense exemplary vegetarian curry which easily satisfied a usually meat-loving reviewer. The main courses were a hard act to follow, but the desserts were enjoyable and worthy of recommendation. Vegan foodies will be happy to know that there is also a weekly vegan dessert for £5.95.
DÉCOR AND AMBIENCE Sophisticated but without affectation, the ambience of Greens owes a lot to its location in the leafy upscale suburb of Didsbury, however the tasteful art and understated elegance of the room layout is very pleasing and relaxing.
SERVICE We dined on a Wednesday evening when the restaurant was busy but not bustling and we had good service. Staff were friendly and helpful, and we never waited too long for our food or drinks.
COST Two of us dined for under £70, including coffee, which seems reasonable given the quality of the food, the sizes of portions and the overall dining experience.
- 1 The incredible Cornish stone structures with an exceptional history
- 2 Scotney Castle makes an appearance in Netflix's The Sandman
- 3 Win a luxury 2-night Lake District getaway to the Skiddaw Hotel worth £500
- 4 These 6 Norfolk beaches have been awarded the Blue Flag for 2022
- 5 5 wild swimming spots in Cheshire
- 6 Have you tried this French-style brasserie in Coggeshall?
- 7 Win the Cobra MX3440V Cordless Lawnmower
- 8 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 9 The 5 best spots for wild swimming in Somerset
- 10 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
41-43 Lapwing Lane,
0161 434 4259