Restaurant reviews - Suri Restaurant & Bar, Manchester
- Credit: Archant
Digest this mini review in 60 seconds
Suri’s signage makes it look like just another high street multiple, when in fact this is a smart independent casual dining restaurant occupying the spot left vacant by the fine dining Quill. Tastefully distressed walls adorned with cool artworks, a fabulous bar and cream upholstery add up to a plush location for a drink and couple of sharing plates, to a full blown special occasion banquet.
Our helpful server explained that Mediterranean-meets Middle Eastern-themed Suri specialises in small plates tapas style. Is there anyone who hasn’t experienced this trend I wonder? Anyway, it works when the small plates are around £3-£5 but the 35 day aged steak, harissa hollandaise, served with honey, herbs and citrus which is cooked over coal cost a hefty £14.50, while blackened hake, fattoush and crab cost an equally steep £13.50. The star of the show was Lebanese lamb, roasted garlic tzatziki and pomegranate, £12.50, three succulent cutlets that you dipped into a zesty mint yoghurt.
These are entered in the ‘Farm’ and ‘Waves’ section of the menu. The Field section is a little cheaper with highlights including pickled roots, served with shaved fennel, zinging with a hit of coriander and star anise, £7 and crunchy pieces of roasted cauliflower served with a sweet red pepper dip, £6. Manchego wrapped in filo and served with truffled honey sounded fab but was a bit tiny and disappointing to be honest. We shared just one dessert, a deliciously spiced roasted plum compote served with creamy iced crème fraiche and crunchy toasted oats, £6.
- 1 Afternoon tea delivery in Suffolk
- 2 How to be a flexitarian
- 3 Which flooded village lies beneath Ladybower Reservoir?
- 4 6 of the best home workouts to try
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Photography focus: 5 stunning Yorkshire Dales landscapes
- 7 Celebrate the famous women born in Norfolk and Suffolk this International Women’s Day
- 8 Take a tour of Cornwall’s picturesque harbours
- 9 Afternoon tea deliveries in the Cotswolds
- 10 Simple steps to worry less
Charming, enthusiastic, knowledgeable (staff has actually tasted the dishes and could explain each with authority and enthusiasm.)
Lunch with drinks and wine came to £120
Suri, 20-22 King St, Manchester M2 6AG 0161 641 7700