The Hungry Guest in Petworth wins Delicatessen of the Year
- Credit: Archant
From over 500 entries nationwide, The Hungry Guest Food Shop based in Petworth, West Sussex has won Delicatessen of the Year in the Farm Shop & Deli Awards 2015.
Brett Coleman, Retail Manager of the shop is obviously thrilled “We are over the moon and extremely proud to have won this prestigious national award. The team here work tirelessly throughout the year and this award is the recognition they really deserve. We are all passionate foodies and this is evident the moment you walk into our shop, from the service our customers receive through to the knowledge of our butchers, cheesemongers and other specialist team members, not forgetting of course our bakers who produce the award winning range of sour dough breads we are renowned for”
Now in its second year, the Farm Shop & Deli Awards, in partnership with Olives Et Al, recognises the very best standards in the speciality retail market and celebrates the highest levels of service, product knowledge, initiative, innovation and community involvement. The awards praise the unsung heroes of the high street and speciality retail scene with categories ranging from butchers, bakers, farm shops and delis through to garden centres, food halls and online businesses.
The awards were judged by a team of expert judges from the world of speciality retail, fine food and food media. Once the award entries had been received the judges drew up a shortlist of entrants and then carried out a series of ‘secret’ visits in December 2014 to see the entrants in action. Judge Nigel Barden, Chairman of Judges and Food and Drink Journalist/Broadcaster, says: “Another brilliantly rewarding set of visits. There are some very focused, driven and talented food retailers in Britain, who deserve to be nourished and encouraged. It’s marvelous that these awards can bring them to much wider attention.”
Elaine Lemm, the Co-Chair of Judges and Food Writer, says: “I thought the high standard of last year’s entries for the awards were unsurpassable. I was wrong. The quality, dedication and sheer hard work of all the businesses entering this year showed this is, once again, a sector of which to be proud. It is no wonder that shopping habits in the UK are changing with retail of this quality on offer for the British shopper.” The Farm Shop & Deli Awards 2015 received a record number of entrants from over 500 businesses across the UK, along with thousands of public votes from consumers supporting their favourite speciality retailers.
For more information about The Hungry Guest, visit: www.thehungryguest.com
For more information about the Awards, visit: www.farmshopanddelishow.co.uk/awards
• Eating out in Sussex - best restaurants - Whether you’re looking for fine dining, pub food, a romantic meal for 2 or a taste of something from further afield, eating out in Sussex really has something for everyone. Here’s our guide to the best local restaurants and pubs
• 20 best pubs in Sussex to visit this winter - What could be nicer than a sleepy Sunday afternoon in one of our beautiful Sussex pubs? Here are some of our favourites...
• A Celebration of Sussex Life Awards 2014 - pictures from the night - After months of voting from readers and deliberation on the part of the judges, the night of the inaugural Celebration of Sussex Life Awards arrived! Guests and finalists enjoyed a sumptuous evening at the Hilton Brighton Metropole. Here’s what happened on the night...
- 1 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 2 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 3 15 festivals and shows happening this summer in Devon
- 4 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 9 places to eat out in Chester this summer
- 7 Peek inside this £1.9m Cotswold house with breathtaking countryside views
- 8 6 great walks near Ramsbottom
- 9 7 great walks in Wensleydale
- 10 18 festivals happening this summer in Dorset