Godfrey C. Williams & Son in Sandbach get ready for the Christmas rush
- Credit: Archant
Putting the spotlight on retailers whose business is an important part of community life
There are few times you won’t find a queue of people at the counter at Godfrey C. Williams & Son in Sandbach. And it will be out of the door during the festive period. The Williams’ family has run grocers in many locations across Cheshire, starting with Thomas Williams in 1875.
Today, the Sandbach store thrives with several members of the family still working there including 25-year-old Daniel Williams who looks after the cheese buying and coffee roasting. He works there with his mum, Carol, and sister, Rebecca. ‘It’s such a big part of my life. I remember my grandfather asking me to carry boxes up the stairs when I was nine,’ he recalled. ‘As a family we’ve been grocers for a long time. I always wanted to be in the business.’
The store stocks a range of delights but is particularly known for cheeses. They stock dozens of varieties with a particular focus on those made in Cheshire. During the festive period the shop is packed with customers choosing food that will make their Christmas dinner meal something special.
‘There is a huge festive atmosphere here when it is Christmas,’ said Daniel. ‘We take part in A Taste of Christmas Fair in November and it gives us chance to showcase even more fantastic Cheshire produce usual.
‘We stock liqueurs from Winding River in Wheelock and this year they are making us a boozy brie. It’s incredible and I can’t wait for our customers to try it.
‘We love being a part of Sandbach. It is really known for its independent businesses and it has recently been described as the next Knutsford. Very good things are happening here.’
- 1 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 Norfolk's beautiful Blue Flag beaches 2021
- 8 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 9 13 of the best places to get coffee in Hampshire
- 10 One Suffolk beach given Blue Flag status for 2021