Get ahead for an easy Christmas: How to spend less time in the kitchen and more time having fun with the family
- Credit: Archant
Pulling off everyone’s favourite meal of the year can be tricky. With that in mind, the team at Booths share their top tips to help you ‘be prepared for Christmas’ - whether you’re tackling a turkey roast for the first time or a seasoned home entertainer.
Now more than ever, spending time at home with family has become important to us all. Booths is here to ensure that excellent food and drink will form a significant part of your celebrations.
When to do your Christmas food shopping?
We’d recommend getting organised as soon as possible – the earlier the better.
We have a whole host of freezer friendly staples and store cupboard essentials which you can purchase early, freeze or store ahead of Christmas.
To make things easier in store, you’ll be able to quickly identify which products are suitable for freezing, storing or gifting, using a selection of easily recognisable pointers.
Why not seize the opportunity and stock up on gifts for your loved ones early too?
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 3 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 4 10 great circular walks in Lancashire
- 5 9 Devon pubs and bars with great beer gardens
- 6 15 festivals and shows happening this summer in Devon
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 Fish and chips in Cornwall you need to try
- 9 6 great walks near Ramsbottom
- 10 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
What is the best food for Christmas parties?
Our tempting selection of shareable bite-size savoury canapés, nibbles and tasty finger foods are certain to be crowd pleasers and they’re an excellent accompaniment for your hot buffet or casual dinner party.
Look out for:
- Hot & Spicy Thai Fish Cakes with a Sweet Chilli Dip, 10 pack (£7.50)
- Mozzarella Sticks,10 pack (£6)
- Salt & Pepper Chicken Bites with Sweet Chilli Dip, 8 pack (£7.50)
- Crepe Cuisine Cocktail Blinis, 16 pack (£2.25)
- Booths Classic Party Platter (£25)
Tell us about your Christmas dinner bundles
Whether it’s a meal for two or eight, our Christmas dinner bundles are one of the simplest, tastiest ways to tuck into a sumptuous Christmas meal.
- Booths Christmas Meal for Two (turkey or beef) - serves 2, (£22)
- Booths Small but Perfectly Formed Dinner (turkey or beef) - serves 3 to 4, (£68 for turkey and £72 for beef)
- Booths Ultimate Christmas Dinner – serves 8, (£150)
The star of the show for many is a turkey, and we’ve got some great tips from our meat buyer David Simons on how to choose the right bird for you – his personal favourite is the award-winning Booths Bronze Turkey.
What are your vegetarian and vegan options?
Not all guests are wanting a full-blown meat feast, so we have a whole host of delicious vegetarian options too.
- Booths Roasted Parsnip, Chestnut & Butternut Squash Tart – serves 2, £7.50
- Booths Smoked Salmon, Prawn and Dill Terrine – serves 6, £18
- Booth Pearl Barley Risotto – serves 1, £6
Browse our Christmas e-book to see more of our tasty meat-free alternatives.
The best Christmas drinks
Stocking up the drinks cabinet is an essential part of any festivity, and there’s no doubt that Booths has lots of local tipples for you to choose from!
Committed to bringing the best wine to your table, you will find a huge assortment of wines to suit all tastes and budgets, from the big event to simple suppers with friends and family and everything in between. Booths has received some fantastic industry recognition this year too, culminating in being crowned Supermarket of the Year 2020 at the People’s Choice Wine awards!
Our top Christmas wine highlights include a range of red and white wines, priced under £10:
Red wine under £10
- Estampado Bonarda Cabernet Sauvignon- ripe plums and blackcurrants with a delicate, perfumed character (£6)
- Booths Beaujolais Villages- a marriage of raspberry, blackberry, plum and cherry (£8)
White wine under £10
- Estampado Blanco- crisp and aromatic with floral and zesty aromas of citrus, peach and apricot (£6)
- Booths Soave Classico- flavours of fresh ripe citus, peaches and delicate herbs (£7)
As if that’s not enough, Booths won Spirits Retailer of the Year 2020. So add in some top locally brewed beers and spirits and we have your festivities covered.
If you’re the designated driver or you prefer no or low alcohol beers, we have lots of locally produced options, packed with all the taste (and none of the hangover).
The best Christmas recipes
If you’re looking to cook up a storm in the run up to Christmas, or want some inspiration on how to liven up your leftovers, check out our recipes here.
Make the most of leftover turkey, ham and gravy with our tasty turkey leftovers ‘pie’ - perfect for a scrummy Boxing Day tea.
Committed to supporting local producers and suppliers, and the wider communities it serves, Booths is a well-loved family owned and operated independent supermarket with stores across Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cumbria, Cheshire and Greater Manchester.
Its fresh approach to retailing has earned Booths its rightful place as the UK’s leading regional supermarket. In 2020, Booths was crowned Spirits Retailer of the Year at the Drinks Retailing Awards, Best Supermarket at the Decanter Retailer Awards and Best Supermarket at the People’s Choice Wine Awards.