Meet the Baker - Aidan Monks, Lovingly Artisan
- Credit: CHECK WITH EMMA MAYOH
Lovingly Artisan in Kendal were recently named one of the country’s best bakers.
When Lovingly Artisan were named North West’s Best Bakery at the National Bakery Awards, it added to a long list of accolades for the Kendal company. The business, first started in a shipping container at Oxenholme Station almost a decade ago, has earned praise from Prince Charles and Keira Knightley. Founder Aidan Monks and his talented wife Catherine Connor, who now also have Lovingly Artisan bases at Altrincham’s famous foodie market, have received many prestigious titles including being named Bakery of the Year in 2019.
‘It’s a real honour to be shortlisted alongside the other finalists in this year’s National Bakery Awards, as both county and regional finalists and to win both is amazing! The annual awards provide a magnificent stage to recognise the skills and achievements of the whole industry. They are an opportunity to shout from the rooftops and celebrate those individuals and businesses at the forefront of the UK’s burgeoning artisan bakery scene. We are proud to be able to play a small part in developing excellence in the UK’s baking industry and the team at Lovingly Artisan look forward to continuing to play a small part in the developments ahead.
‘My approach to baking is based on an incredible depth of knowledge, experience and continual study.
‘Inspired while studying at the College of Culinary Arts in Boston Massachusetts, I went on to be mentored by experts from Grand Moulin de Paris. Yet my real training continues daily at my mixer, workbench and oven, where I perfect my craft as an artisan.
‘I thrive on adopting old methods with a new way of thinking; such as utilising raw milks, ancient heritage grains and double fermentation within my breads. Long before sourdough became fashionable, it was an essential aspect of the way I led my life as a baker.
‘The disciplines of blending varied flours in a quest for the perfect combination is my perpetual motivation as an artisan; just as a barista blends beans in their quest for the perfect coffee.’
- 1 WIN a stunning Jo Downs art piece worth £520
- 2 Christmas dinners 2021: 9 delicious places to go in Devon
- 3 Win a Vispring Elite mattress from Peter Betteridge
- 4 Star cast unveiled for new ITV crime drama set in North Devon
- 5 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 6 The 11 best Christmas markets in Cornwall 2021
- 7 12 best Devon Christmas markets for 2021
- 8 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 9 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 10 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
You’ll find the sourdough bread recipe from Aidan in the link below