Michael Wignall at The Latymer, Pennyhill Park, receives second Michelin star
Surrey's first two Michelin star restaurant has been named, just five years after the celebrating chef responsible first moved to our county.
Surrey’s first two Michelin star restaurant has been named, just five years after the celebrating chef responsible first moved to our county.
Michael Wignall joins a small handful of other restaurants in the UK with this highly sought-after accolade, awarded from the world renowned guide, for his efforts at The Latymer at Pennyhill Park in Bagshot.
“A second Michelin star is an incredible achievement, it’s a goal I have been striving for ever since I came to Pennyhill Park five years ago,” he says.
“I’m still in shock to be honest, it’s the best news I’ve had in years and my team and I can’t stop smiling! I am so proud of my team who work to exceptionally high standards for every service, and feel this really is testament to all of our hard work.”
Michael joined Pennyhill Park in November 2007 from The Devonshire Arms Hotel in North Yorkshire, where he held a Michelin star and 4 AA Rosettes.
Dishes from the three, eight or ten course tasting menu include Loire valley rabbit, girolles, wet polenta, compressed apple, puffed quinoa; soused mackerel, hand dived scallop, char grilled white asparagus, fennel, brown butter emulsion; and desserts such as iced lime mousse, crispy coconut and sorbet, poached pineapple.
- 1 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 2 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 9 Wild Essex: 5 hotspots for nature lovers
- 10 4 of the best Norfolk gardens to see rhododendrons
The restaurant first came to the forefront following the win of Best Restaurant Newcomer of the Year in the Which? Good Food Guide 2009.
Most recently, the restaurant was awarded five AA Rosettes in the 2012 guide, firmly putting it and Surrey on the British culinary map.