New pie and mash shop opens in Diss
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Pick up the dog and bone and head to Diss’ new pie and mash shop with your friends
Time to roll out the barrel, along with any other convenient cockney cliches, to mark the opening of an new pie and mash shop.
This one is not to be found within the sound of Bow Bells, but instead in St Nicholas’ Street in Diss. Husband and wife team Jon and Maria Munford believe they have seen a gap in the culinary market by serving up their very own slice of East London culinary classics, including jellied eels.
They have adapted the offering to suit local tastes and also cater for vegetarian and vegan needs.
The Munfords have transformed a former tearoom into the tiled interior of a traditional pie and mash shop, launched with a special guest night attended by – what else – a pair of Pearly Kings.
Jon Munford, who is a trained chef and cooks the pies from scratch using local ingredients, said: “They were brilliant. They were stopping people and talking to them. It was nice there were a lot of Londoners catching up and talking.
“It was a real good community vibe. We were pretty chuffed and got quite a few bookings from it as well.”
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 3 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 4 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 5 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 6 Win a two-night stay for two at the Telegraph Hotel in Coventry
- 7 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 8 23 places to find the best views in Devon
- 9 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 10 Blue Flag Beaches in Kent 2021
Signs are good for the Munfords; they sold out of pies on the first day. Lovely jubbly.