New pie and mash shop opens in Chelmsford
- Credit: @FCookespieandmash
The fifth generation Robert Cooke has opened his very own F. Cooke on Moulsham Street in Chelmsford
Established in 1862, F. Cooke first opened its doors on Slatter Street, E1 selling traditional pie and mash and eels.
Fast forward 150 years later, and the fifth generation Robert Cooke has opened his very own F. Cooke on Moulsham Street in Chelmsford.
Since his father (Bob Cooke) recently retired and closed an original F. Cooke on Broadway Market (est 1900), Robert was inspired to continue the family legacy and open his own in a place where most of London’s East Enders have now moved to - Essex.
Here you will find the latest F. Cooke, which opened in early November 2020, standing proudly in its traditional emerald green façade shop front with a well invested gold leaf sign proudly rested up high.
Inside the 985sq ft dining area and in keeping with the original eel and pie houses, the walls are covered in white and green tiles, 7,000 to be exact.
The pies are made using the finest quality meat combined with locally sourced spuds for the mash. If you’re left wanting more, the fruit pies with custard always go down a treat.
- 1 Win a holiday for two on the Isles of Scilly
- 2 12 of the best places to eat al fresco in Yorkshire
- 3 16 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 Sussex pubs with beer gardens to visit this summer
- 5 Great pubs with pretty beer gardens in Kent
- 6 21 of the best places to eat al fresco in Hampshire
- 7 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 8 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 9 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 10 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
‘I'm so proud to be able to continue our family legacy, which is now a part of English history,’ said Robert.
‘We’ve kept everything traditional but will be bringing F. Cooke into the 21st century. We’re delighted at the positive reaction we’ve had from the people of Chelmsford so far and can’t wait to serve them the best pie and mash around.’
F. Cooke is currently open for takeaway and available on Deliveroo during lockdown
35-37 Moulsham Street, Chelmsford CM2 0HY; @f.cookespieandmash