Pub Review - George and Dragon, Clifton, near Penrith
This stylish pub is owned by Juno and Charles Lowther, brother of the Earl of Lonsdale.
This stylish pub is owned by Juno and Charles Lowther, brother of the Earl of Lonsdale. The couple completely refurbished the inn, creating a restaurant and 12 en-suite guest rooms, some with rolltop baths and all with television, DVD player and wi-fi connection.
Where is it?: Situated on the old A6 just a few miles from Penrith What’s the style?: The pub is testament to the vision of the recently wed young couple with its relaxed interior and comfortable furnishings.
And the food?: We had an evening meal in the restaurant where you can choose to sit near the open kitchen or hide away in one of the little alcoves. The food is a mix of locally sourced meat (Charles is extremely proud of the Beef Shorthorns he breeds), fish and homegrown vegetables. I had rarebit with black pudding followed by sea bream and it was tasty and unpretentious. You can choose to dine in either the cosy pub area with its woodburner or the restaurant, the menu is the same.
After dinner: Upstairs there’s a communal area with tea and coffee facilities for guests and a range of entertainments. The rooms differ in size, with prices ranging from £95 to £150. Prices include breakfast which was a real highlight with its range of juices, dried and fresh fruits, cereals, yoghurt, and choice of full English, vegetarian omelette or smoked salmon and scrambled egg. Simple, delicious and beautifully presented.
Lancashire Life verdict: It’s a stylish and convivial place to stay with decent food and service thrown in. And there are some really nice personal touches – for example, Charles sourced the toiletries in the bathrooms from India as they were the ones in the hotel where he proposed to Juno two years ago. Ah!
For more information go to www.georgeanddragonclifton.co.uk
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 3 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 6 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 7 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 8 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 9 Bluebell walks in Suffolk: Beautiful spring woodlands to explore
- 10 Bluebell woods in Derbyshire: Top 5 places to go for woodland walks