Recipe: apple crumble cocktail from Benedicts, Norwich
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Winners of this year’s Outstanding Front of House category, sponsored by Broadland Wineries, the team at Benedicts restaurant in Norwich share their tips to ensure your Christmas is full of fun, indulgence and sparkle
Preparation, preparation, preparation – that’s the message from Richard Bainbridge, owner of Benedicts.
“Be prepared, utilise the time you have before the big day to get everything you can ready in advance. Christmas is a day of celebration and no one wants to be rushed off their feet preparing dinner, drinks, games, presents and entertainment all on one day. So get ready and prepared in advance so you can relax and enjoy the day with your friends and family.
“Among all the team here, a big wintry favourite is apple crumble. The slightly sharp apples, sweet crumb, hint of cinnamon and creamy custard all shout Christmas to us, so last year we devised an indulgent festive drink to encompass all of these elements. Here is our recipe so you can make it at home.”
Recipe: Benedicts’ Apple Crumble Cocktail
Advovaat Cream (makes one)
- 1 13 beautiful riverside pubs to visit in the Cotswolds
- 2 Who is the real Hampshire soldier behind BBC Two's new drama Danny Boy?
- 3 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 4 6 wonderful seafood restaurants to visit in Yorkshire
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 6 Five hot new restaurants opening in Sussex
- 7 Bluebell walks in Dorset: 8 of the best places to go
- 8 A 5.3 mile circular walk around Sandwich
- 9 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 10 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 50ml Advocaat (homemade or we recommend Warnick’s)
- 25ml double cream.
In a bowl pour in the Advocaat and double cream, whisk together until it forms ribbons. It needs to be the consistency of cream. We advise not doubling up the ingredients for the Advocaat Cream as it doesn’t always make the right consistency. It’s better to do it one at a time.
Apple Syrup (makes four)
- 100ml Vodka
- 200ml cloudy apple juice
- 1g Xantana (available in whole food shops)
Whisk the Xantana and cloudy apple juice until the apple juice has thickened to a syrup consistency. Then pour the mixture into a cocktail shaker with ice, add the vodka and shake for 20 seconds so they combine.
Divide the apple syrup mixture into 4 cocktail glasses. Slowly pour the Advocaat cream over the back of a spoon so it floats on top of the apple syrup. Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon and half a crushed digestive biscuit over the top and Voila! You’re ready to sit back and enjoy ‘Apple Crumble in a glass’ by the roaring fire.
9 St Benedicts Street, Norwich, NR2 4PE, 01603 92 60 80; restaurantbenedicts.com