Recipe: Open fennel, red onion and Shipcord lasagne
- Credit: Archant
This lasagne is filled with sunshine flavours. Try making it with other vegetables during the summer when in season. Courgettes and aubergines will work very well.
Open fennel, red onion and Shipcord lasagne with red pepper and tomato fondue (serves 2)
1/2 box lasagne sheets, 2 bulbs fennel sliced finely, 1 red onion thinly sliced, 2tbsps unsalted butter, 1tbsp oil, 1/2tsp oregano, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper
Cheese sauce: 1tbsp plain flour, 2tbsps butter, 300ml milk, 120g Shipcord cheese
Tomato and pepper fondue: 1 small onion finely chopped, 1 clove garlic, 1 red pepper deseeded and finely chopped, 1 tin chopped tomatoes, oil for cooking, seasoning
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 4 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 5 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 6 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 7 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 8 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 9 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 10 Al fresco dining in Cornwall: 9 of the best places to go
Prepare the fondue sauce. Saute the onions in a little oil until soft. Add the garlic and red pepper and cook further until the pepper is very soft. Add the tin of tomatoes and seasoning to taste. Blitz in a food processor until smooth. Set aside to be warmed later.
Now place the fennel and onion in a pan with the butter, oil, oregano and a little salt and pepper. Saute on a gentle heat until soft and lightly caramelised.
For the cheese sauce melt the butter and add the flour. Cook out for one minute. Add the milk bit by bit, whisking all the time to smooth out any lumps. Cook on a low heat until thick. Add the cheese, melt and set aside.
When ready to serve snap the lasagne sheets in half. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the sheets, boiling for eight to 10 minutes until pliable and al dente.
Warm through your vegetables, cheese sauce and fondue.
Layer the pasta sheets with your fennel and onions and cheese sauce. Serve with the tomato sauce around the outside.
Ingredients suppied by East of England Co-op