Courgette and goat’s cheese fritters with crispy bacon - recipe
- Credit: Archant
Cook up these courgette and goat’s cheese fritters with crispy bacon for a delicious, seasonal Father’s Day feast
Ingredients (Serves 4)
• 3 courgettes
• 40g plain flour
• 20g cornflour
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 3 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 4 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 5 8 secluded secret beaches in North Devon
- 6 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 7 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 8 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 9 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Lancashire this summer
- 10 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Derbyshire this summer
• 1 lemon, zest finely grated
• 100g Rosary Ash goat’s cheese, cubed
• 2 tbsp basil leaves, shredded
• 3 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
• 12 rashers streaky bacon, rind removed
1 Coarsely grate the courgettes into the centre of a clean tea towel, then gather up the edges and twist to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
2 Mix the flour, cornflour and baking powder in a bowl. Stir 60ml of cold water into the egg yolks with the lemon zest and a big pinch of salt and pepper, then whisk the mixture into the flour to form a thick batter.
3 Fold the courgette, goat’s cheese and shredded basil into the batter.
4 Whisk the egg whites until stiff in a clean bowl, then fold them in to lighten the mixture.
5 Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and fry heaped tablespoons of the mixture for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Repeat until all of the mixture has been used, keeping the cooked fritters warm in a low oven.
6 While the final batch of fritters is frying, heat the rest of the oil in a separate frying pan and fry the bacon until crisp. Serve as soon as possible after cooking.
Find it in Hampshire
• Courgettes - Sunnyfields, Totton; 02380 861266; sunnyfields.co.uk
• Goat’s cheese - Rosary Goat’s Cheese, Landford; 01794 322196; rosarygoatscheese.co.uk
• Bacon - Tatchbury Manor Farm, Winsor; 07786 697919; tatchburymanorfarm.co.uk***
• Hampshire Food Festival 2015 - In celebration of the Hampshire Food Festival’s special anniversary, Hampshire Fare take us back to the beginning to find out how the county’s love for local food has grown
• 15 beautiful photos of Hampshire on Instagram - We took to Instagram one afternoon and discovered a whole host of amazing Hampshire photos. Here are 15 of the best we found...