Cumin-scented turkey burgers with tomato salsa: The Fast Diet
- Credit: Romas Foord
One man’s health scare led to the creation of a new diet, which is fast becoming a worldwide health movement
Calorie count: 174 or 333 with corn-on-the-cob and salsa
Swapping beef for turkey will slash the calories in a burger (and, incidentally, the cost) – but you do need a little egg to bind it all together in a steady embrace, otherwise the meat is liable to dry out and will collapse before your very eyes.
125g turkey mince
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 small egg, beaten – use about 1 tbsp
- 1 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 2 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 4 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 5 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 6 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Somerset this Halloween
- 7 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Cornwall this Halloween
- 8 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 9 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021
- 10 10 of the best places to go pumpkin picking in Cheshire
½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper
1 Combine all the burger ingredients and leave to marinate for half an hour in the fridge.
2 Shape into two patties and grill for 5-7 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
3 Serve with lemon-dressed herby salad leaves, classic tomato salsa and corn-on-the-cob.
Classic tomato salsa
Calorie count per tbsp: 4
A fine way to bring a jolt of low-cal flavour to a Fast Day plate.
A good salsa is all about the balance and freshness of ingredients, though it needn’t rely on the classic union of tomatoes and onions.
Salsa simply means sauce, so you can riff on the theme. Ingredients
300g ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped ½ red onion, finely chopped 1 tbsp white wine vinegar 2 tsps lime juice Pinch of caster sugar Pinch of chilli flakes Basil leaves, torn Salt and pepper