Spicy vegan hot cross buns recipe
- Credit: not Archant
Recipe from the Vegetarian Society, vegsoc.org
• 350g strong plain flour
• 1 tsp ground mixed spice
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 2 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 3 Steph McGovern on her new lunchtime show, Steph’s Packed Lunch
- 4 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 5 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 Why presentation is so important when selling a home
- 8 4 interesting places to visit in the Peak District
- 9 Why the Yorkshire flat cap has returned back into fashion
- 10 A positive outlook for the housing market for 2021
• 1 sachet easy-blend yeast
• 25g caster sugar
• 75g currants
• 25g mixed peel, chopped
• Finely grated rind of one lemon
• 75g vegan margarine, melted
• 175ml soya milk, warmed
For the crosses:
• 50g plain flour
• 25g vegan margarine
• Water glaze
• 25g sugar
• 30ml water
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, spices, yeast, sugar, currants, mixed peel and lemon rind. Make a well in the centre and add the melted margarine and some of the warmed milk. Mix until a soft dough is formed, adding more milk if necessary.
2. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size (1-2 hours). Meanwhile to make the crosses, rub the margarine into the flour and add enough water to bind. Roll out the pastry quite thinly, then cut into thin strips. Once the dough has doubled in size, knock it down and knead for five minutes.
3. Divide into 12 pieces, roll each piece into a ball and leave on a greased baking tray. Leave to rise again for about 30 minutes.
To make the glaze, heat the water and sugar in a pan until the sugar dissolves.
Leave to cool. Glaze each bun and top with pastry crosses.
Bake at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for about 20 minutes or until golden.