Restaurant reviews - The Ship Inn Barlow Hill, Wincle
Digest this mini-review in 60 seconds
The Ship InnBarlow Hill, Wincle, SK11 0QETel: 01260 227217
STYLE OF VENUEThis quaint 18th century inn is everything you would want in a country pub. Set in the Peak District National Park the surrounding countryside is spectacular. A former Cheshire Life Food and Drink Award winner and holder of the JW Lees Food Pub of the Year 2011 title, tenants Michael Hazelton, also the chef, and Cathy Dean have created a place popular with locals and visitors. But they are not open all day so do check before you go.
ON THE MENUThe menu changes daily. On the evening we visited there was a vast choice including a large helping of fish dishes from Thai fish cakes, whitebait and smoked salmon and baby clams for starters to crab prawn and chorizo risotto, Danebridge trout sourced from a fisheries just a few yards down the road and baked fillet of plaice for mains. There were also tempting dishes of saut�ed pigeon breast, lamb kleftiko and a Cambodian Saraman-style beef curry.
D�COROne part of this lovely building, just to the side of the bar, sticks more to its 18th century origins with beams and traditional d�cor. The family room is still faithful to The Ship Inn’s roots but has a more modern feel.
AMBIENCEWelcoming and bustling. We turned up at opening time on a Tuesday night without a booking and were lucky to get a table. If you’re there for the night, there are board games to play.
SERVICEMichael and Cathy provide a welcome as warm as the fires in this rustic country inn. The service is attentive but at no point did we feel rushed.
- 1 Try this three mile walk around Belper
- 2 Essex staycation: sleep in this quirky refurbished train carriage
- 3 Is this the cosiest pub in Essex?
- 4 Amazing Devon events in the second half of 2022
- 5 The Kent woman who turned her passion into a 1940s living museum
- 6 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 7 6 places to view snowdrops in Yorkshire
- 8 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 9 Win a tropical trip for two to Mauritius
- 10 5 of the best sustainable places to eat in Yorkshire
COSTTwo of us enjoyed two excellent courses – portion sizes were too generous to warrant a dessert - with soft drinks, for just under �50.