Surrey pubs: The Inn at Maybury, Woking GU22 8AB
With ten years' experience in the industry, Jo Hammond, the new general manager at The Inn at Maybury, in Woking, previously opened, managed and made famous The Seahorse in Shalford
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine May 2010
The Inn at Maybury, Maybury Hill, Woking GU22 8ABTel: 01483 722115
With ten years’ experience in the industry, Jo Hammond, the new general manager at The Inn at Maybury, in Woking, previously opened, managed and made famous The Seahorse in Shalford.
What?Dating back to the 1860s, The Inn at Maybury is steeped in local history. Making the most of the pub’s original features, there is a stylish bar, open fires and a mix of shabby chic and mismatched furniture.
Where?Maybury was the home of HG Wells. In 1898, he used the landscape as a focal point to write The War of the Worlds, which detailed a Martian coming down the hill from the convent to the Maybury Inn.
Why?At the core of the pub’s food offerings are classic freshly-made pizzas from their stone fired ovens, as well as traditional favourites like steaks and fish and chips. With a comprehensive wine list and a great selection of beers, homespun cask ales and plenty of delicious fizz, this country pub is well worth a visit.
Recommend your favourite Surrey pubs to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 3 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 4 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Are you ready for the greatest show this summer?
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 9 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms
- 10 WIN a hamper of Sky Wave Gin worth £170