Surrey pubs: The Wiremilll, near Lingfield RH7 6HJ
Rescued from a precarious state, The Wiremill's owners have done this historic building proud. It was a double celebration recently as the pub picked up freehouse and pub of the year at the The Publican's 2010 national awards.
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine June 2010
The Wiremilll, Wiremill Lane, Felbridge, near Lingfield, Surrey RH7 6HJ Tel: 01342 832263
Rescued from a precarious state, The Wiremill’s owners have done this historic building proud. It was a double celebration recently as the pub picked up freehouse and pub of the year at the The Publican’s 2010 national awards.
What?A 15th century wiremill, which once wrought nails used in the rebuilding of St Paul’s Cathedral, The Wiremill is now a gorgeous pub set on the edge of a 26-acre lake. With a six-room boutique hotel on site, there’s no need to rush home either.
Where?Located in Felbridge, near Lingfield, trips to the racecourse or British Wildlife Centre (when open) could complement the perfect meal. If that all seems too taxing, though, a dose of summer sun on the pub’s terrace should do the trick.
Why?The Wiremill pride themselves on providing unpretentious but delicious food. They shirk at the gastropub tag and provide hearty dishes on a traditional English theme with a twist – think Game Crumble. With local beer on tap and top wines, including the British variety, the pub is a real treat.
Recommend your favourite Surrey pubs to email@example.com
- 1 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 2 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 Wild Essex: 5 hotspots for nature lovers
- 9 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 10 4 of the best Norfolk gardens to see rhododendrons