The fine foodie: Hertford ice cream
- Credit: Archant
Sharon Struckman cools off with a new Jersey ice cream from a family farm in Hertford Heath
Barry and Jenny Daw have farmed Jersey cows at Amwell Place Farm, on the edge of Herford Heath since 2003. Their herd is now up to 260, which produce 840,000 litres of rich milk in a year, led, they say, by ‘Supercow’ Roxy Rose.
The finer qualities of Jersey milk are known throughout the world and the Daw’s herd has impeccable heritage. Every cow is registered in the Herdbook of the Jersey Cattle Society of the UK and traces its pedigree through both bull and heifer lines.
Now the high quality milk is being used for a new family venbture – ice cream. Last year, the Daw’s daughter Claire, aged 17, was accepted to the agricultural-focussed Harper Adams University, but decided to defer for a year to start her own ice cream making business using the farm’s milk. After taking an ice cream making course and with guidance from family, friends and the help of trusty Roxy Rose, she has mastered the art of making ice cream and fruit ice.
All Claire’s dairy ice cream is made from fresh, whole-cream Jersey cow milk and double cream is added for a richer, creamier taste.
Dawlicous ice cream comes in chocolate, strawberry, clotted cream fudge, mint choc chip, honey comb, vanilla, raspberry and white chocolate as well as Just Dawlicious. Claire also makes a divine gooseberry fruit ice, which is tangy and very moreish. You can purchase Dawlicous ice cream at Foxhole Farm shop in Hertford or you can contact the young entrepreneur on 07540132644. She is available to cater for fairs, fetes, parties and weddings.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 It’s a Cotswold hat-trick at Chelsea!
- 3 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 12 great things to do in Tiverton
- 6 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 7 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 10 Meet this year's Yorkshire contestant for the Great British Bake Off