The Vineking in Reigate share their spring wine selection
- Credit: Archant
Every month we feature an independent Surrey wine boutique and their top three picks for the weeks ahead. Here, Frank Dudley from The Vineking, in Reigate, shares his selection for spring…
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine April 2017
Sorelle Bronca Brut Prosecco Di Valdobbiadene DOCG, £19.99
When the Sorelle sisters were left their family’s vineyards, it was assumed by most of the locals that they would marry and leave it to their husbands to run. But no, these women are made of sterner stuff and decided to go it alone. They now produce a range of exquisite wines organically. The Prosecco Brut they produce is bursting with notes of acacia and citrus. Most important of all though is the wonderfully persistent mousse and fine perlage. This is one of the finest Proseccos you will ever taste.
2013 Mas de La Rhime Blanc Coteaux du Languedoc, £16.99
After many years working in the telecommunications industry, Phillipe Sala bought Mas de la Rhime, a beautiful property 10km west of Montpellier. On this historic vineyard he now produces red, white and rose wine biodynamically and from tiny yields, more akin to those of a Grand Cru Burgundy. The white here is blended from classic southern French grape varieties, Roussanne and Grenache Blanc. Long and wonderfully seductive with rich, pure fruit and a lovely touch of minerality, this has the weight of a serious white burgundy but the Rousanne gives it a unique touch of quince, white flowers, light spice tones and the finish is sublime.
- 1 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 Win a G&H Spirits gin set with Sussex Life
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms
- 9 Win a three nights stay at Nydsley Hall in Pateley Bridge
- 10 11 of the prettiest villages in North Devon
2013 Sottano Cabernet Sauvignon Enologo Lujan de Cuyo Argentina, £22.99
This estate was set up by an Italian immigrant who landed in Argentina in 1890. Four generations later and the family is still creating stunning wines. I adore this wine. It has everything you want in a glass of red. Spice, lush cassis fruit, hints of mint and chocolate and a long finish with ripe, supple tannins. Pair this with a rare (Argentinian!) steak or a leg of lamb and Cloud 9 approaches.
• The Vineking, Reigate, East Molesey and Weybridge: thevineking.com