Meet the Chef - Toby Geneen, Kindling Restaurant, Brighton
- Credit: Archant
We speak to the head chef at Kindling Restaurant on East Street, Brighton
What first inspired you to become a chef?
Definitely reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential when I was 12.
Which career achievements are you most proud of?
I would have to say opening Kindling. The opportunity to execute a concept that had been brewing between myself and our executive chef Holly Taylor has been amazing.
Do you have a signature dish?
No. But boy do I love wild garlic!
- 1 Where to watch the Perseids meteor shower in East Anglia
- 2 5 wild swimming spots in Cheshire
- 3 The incredible Cornish stone structures with an exceptional history
- 4 5 of the best places to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 5 The 5 best spots for wild swimming in Somerset
- 6 Cheshire walk - Anderton Boat Lift and Nature Park
- 7 4 of the best places for open water swimming in Hampshire
- 8 Hoards of spider crabs on Cornish beaches are not a danger to the public
- 9 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 10 17 amazing experience days in Hampshire
What do you cook at home after a busy shift?
To be honest after a busy and long shift I often head straight to bed. Although on my days off, I love to cook comfort food. One-pot wonders like slow-braised lamb shank or a short rib.
Favourite Sussex delicacy?
For this time of year, I would have to say venison. We have some lovely Ashdown Forest venison on the menu at the moment - our customers love it. We forage a lot of our own produce at Kindling, so from midsummer to autumn we are on the hunt for great Sussex produce like elderflower, cobnuts and elderberries.
What's in your fridge at the moment?
What is your culinary guilty pleasure?
I'll be honest, it's a Maccy D's!
Where do you like to go to eat in the county if you ever get out of the kitchen?
I have dined out in a few local restaurants recently. Heritage in Slaugham was a pleasant surprise. Those guys are going places quickly. Also The Flint House in Brighton. Tom Wright is a cracking chef!