Everything you need to know about Yorkshire’s Masterchef: The Professionals contestant
- Credit: n/a
Yorkshire chef Jono Hawthorne of Vice &Virtue in Leeds is a contestant on MasterChef The Professionals. Need to know more about him – and how he spends his time off?
Jono earned his stripes in the kitchens of NOMA, The Man Behind the Curtain and The Box Tree, and is now the in-demand head chef at Leeds feasting spots Vice and Virtue and Feed.
A chef’s life in lockdown
I’ve been cooking and developing dishes at Vice and Virtue and Feed. During the current situation nothing has really changed for me, I’m doing the same thing, apart from a takeaway service at Feed Pudsey and we run a takeaway tasting menu at Vice and Virtue. We do the same food and the business runs the same way, we just package it up now.
How do you spend weekends?
Probably on the pass at Vice and Virtue. Even now, I’m still on the pass at the restaurant each Friday. But if I do get a rare Friday night off work, it would probably be straight to a local Thai restaurant for some food with the family. Thai Aroy Dee is one of Leeds’ hidden gems for authentic Thai food.
What do you cook off-duty?
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 4 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 5 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 6 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 7 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 8 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 9 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 10 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
Spag bol, Thai green curry and beans on toast with cheese and black pepper.
Retail therapy – where you will head after lockdown
A food shop, of course, with an order from The Courtyard Dairy, which has some of the best produce in Yorkshire. I use Amazon, too.
Saturday night perfection is
Pre, during and post lockdown will always be spending time with the family, normally watching a film and having some good food.
Where to enjoy a gourmet feast in Yorkshire
A Sunday roast is always a winner .
Fresh air favourite places:
Meanwood Valley Trail, Golden Acre Park , Harewood House – great walks, stunning views and great places for foraging.
Entertainment that keeps you sane…
Joe Rogan podcast, I think everyone should listen to it – very intellectual, smart, clever, sometimes stupid but always mind-blowing. A great podcast whilst working in the kitchen.
Vice and Virtue are providing a takeaway tasting menu and Feed Pudsey and Leeds are also operating a takeaway service, bottle shop and mini convenience store.