Chef Raymond Blanc to open 25th RHS Garden Wisley Flower Show in September
- Credit: Archant
A restaurateur with a passion for gardening, French chef Raymond Blanc is set to jump out of the frying pan and into the perennials to open the 25th RHS Garden Wisley Flower Show.
Raymond is set to visit the RHS’ flagship garden near Woking on Tuesday September 5, 9am, to launch the spectacular six-day flower festival which carries on until Sunday September 10.
“I am delighted that Raymond Blanc has agreed to open our flower show for us in its 25th year, as he is a passionate ambassador for how kitchen gardens contribute to the very highest standards of gastronomic achievement,” says Matthew Pottage, curator of RHS Garden Wisley.
As well as being one of the UK’s most respected chefs, Raymond launched his own gardening school this summer to share the expertise of the team behind the two-acre kitchen garden, which supplies his two-Michelin-starred restaurant at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons.
The RHS Wisley Flower Show will enable visitors to browse and purchase top-quality plants and get expert advice from more than 50 specialist nurseries – including many RHS Chelsea and Hampton Court Palace Flower Show medal winners.
Several will be selling edible plants, such as herbs from Pepperpot Nursery and The Culinary Herb Company, unusual edible plants from Edulis Nursery and Pennard Plants, chilli plants from Sea Spring Seeds and plants to make your own cocktails by Plants4Presents.
The National Dahlia Society Annual Show will take place at the anniversary event, showcasing the best in dahlia cultivation and colour.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 5 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 6 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 Wild Essex: 5 hotspots for nature lovers
- 9 4 of the best Norfolk gardens to see rhododendrons
- 10 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Cheshire this summer
RHS Garden Wisley’s Glasshouse will host an outstanding ‘Bego-lumbo’ display during the show featuring a combination of the garden’s large collection of begonias and aquatic Nelumbo flowers (sacred lotus).
• For more information about the RHS Garden Wisley Flower Show, including how to book tickets and travel advice, visit www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley
The big 5 gardens to visit in Surrey 25 of the best secret Surrey gardens to visitBest summer pubs in Surrey 2017 – where to enjoy al fresco drinks and diningEating out in Surrey - best restaurantsSurrey Life Food & Drink Awards hall of fame