Interiors advice - choose warm and glamorous colours this winter
- Credit: Archant
Stunning new interiors collections are launched for autumn and winter. Justine Kirkham takes a look
One of the quickest and easiest ways to make a statement this season is to incorporate a pop of jewel toned colour into your home. Amethyst, ruby, sapphire, topaz and turquoise are everywhere, especially in a patterned variety. Alternatively add a touch of warmth and glamour with copper; one of this season’s leading metallics, making any room shine with its lustrous tones.
Start with a focal point, like a feature wall or an armchair, and work around it. Pick your favourite gemstone colour and balance it with soft greys or neutrals to modernise interiors. Contrast the bold and soft colours between fabrics and walls to ensure a perfect blend.
My personal favourites are sapphire and indigo - beautiful shades that work perfectly in a variety of rooms. There’s a sense of calmness and serenity with deep, ocean-like indigo.
Purple is proving another popular choice. Some are brave, drenching a room in a vibrant shade for an exotic feel while others play it safe with a softer lilac hue. Both colours go beautifully with opulent soft furnishings. Combining purple with smoky grey or sage green is stunning.
Don’t be afraid to mix gem colours with strong patterns. New digitally-printed velvets add charm and understated glamour to any home. I love the fabulous collections from Linwood and James Brindley (naturally!), and Zoffany also has a wonderful new wallpaper range inspired by Indian Mughal paintings.
Fabrics are heavier this season, so embrace luxurious velvet, earthy suede and textured corduroy. Used sparingly to add texture and depth, they are sophisticated yet durable and can hold the rich, dark color schemes of winter.
- 1 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 2 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 3 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 4 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 5 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 6 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 7 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 8 Yorkshire Wolds walk - Thixendale to Hanging Grimston
- 9 Steph McGovern on her new lunchtime show, Steph’s Packed Lunch
- 10 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
Justine Kirkham is head of design at James Brindley, Harrogate