Objects of Desire: Fairtrade furniture
- Credit: Archant
Fair Trade furniture and accessories have never been so stylish - as Somerset’s Myakka is happy to prove
FOR the third year running, Somerset furniture label Myakka has scored top marks in the Good Shopping Guide.
So what better reason than to search them out, we thought. For those who don’t know, the guide is compiled by the Ethical Company Organisation (ECO) and is the world’s leading reference book on how to shop with confidence and a clear conscience, covering everything from banks to butter, washing machines to jeans. The ECO indexes each company based on a number of factors including: impact on the environment, human rights and animal rights.
Scoring 100 out of 100, we know Myakka comes with impeccable eco-credentials - but what about its style score? To make things easy we’ve picked our three favourites. First up is Oceana Pearl floor lamp (£299.95).
These elegant tapered lamps have been finished with a shell mosaic to create a lustrous finish and are available in cream, mother of pearl finish or a green shell finish. Perfect for brightening up dark corners at night, they look equally good during the day.
Coffee tables are undergoing something of a circular revolution so we’ve chosen Kacang coffee table (£149.95). Something of a talking point, this is made by skilled artisans in Bangledesh, and is upholstered with a handwoven abaca leaf top on a sturdy set of wooden legs.
And finally we are going for their leather topped bench (£299). Simple, beautiful and perfect for your hallway or boot room. It’s hand crafted with mango legs, slatted shelf and topped with classic cushioned leather. w
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 3 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 6 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 7 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 8 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 9 Bluebell walks in Suffolk: Beautiful spring woodlands to explore
- 10 Bluebell woods in Derbyshire: Top 5 places to go for woodland walks
Myakka Warehouse Outlet, The Tythings Commercial Centre, Wincanton, BA9 9EQ