Surrey named one of the best places to live in the country
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Two recent studies have shown the best places in the UK to buy a home and Surrey ranks very highly
The estate agents Yopa has released its Love Where You Live Guide which reveal the best places to purchase property in country and the UK’s largest mutual life, pensions and investment company Royal London has released a study of the best areas in England for families to thrive. Towns within commuting distance of London often top these kinds of lists but the studies show that priorities are changing.
The Yopa guide takes into account the changes in people’s lives that have affected how they live due to the lockdown. In a survey of 2,000 people who answered questions about what they want from a property, it turns out that many of us are considering a move since the pace of life changed during the coronavirus-induced lockdown.
Out of a score of a possible 200, at the top of the list was Cheltenham in Gloucestershire which scored 200, with Sale, Greater Manchester and Aberdeen in Scotland coming in second and third with a joint 197. But Walton-on-Thames in Surrey came just behind at 195, highly rated for access to green spaces, job opportunities and average house prices along with proximity to good schools and low crime rates.
Walton-on-Thames beat Cambridge (194), Edinburgh (189), Harrogate in North Yorkshire (188) and Brentwood (187) for its coveted spot on the list. For the full list of over 200 locations and a map detailing the scores across the country, visit the Yopa website.
The Royal London study has analysed “crime level data, community engagement, education standards and the number of family households” to see where the best places in the country are for families to thrive. Surrey has come sixth out of 38 analysed areas, beating Hampshire, Devon, Cornwall, Derbyshire and more to grab one of the top spots for happy children.
To see more analysis and the full list of studied areas, visit the Royal London website.
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 4 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 5 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 6 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 7 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 8 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 9 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 10 12 great places to eat al fresco in Suffolk