Christmas trends for the home: top 10 gift ideas
- Credit: Archant
The festive season might be a little different this year, so all the more reason to treat yourself (and your loved ones!) to some luxurious gifts.
Christine Lee, interior designer for James’ Places and buyer for The Emporium in Clitheroe, which stocks an array of giftware, furniture and accessories, looks at this season’s trends:
Q: Are customers enjoying shopping again?
Yes – and it’s brilliant to see them! You cannot beat the experience of going into a store and chatting to friendly sales staff. Lots of people have not been able to go away on holiday but perhaps managed to get hold of a pot of paint to change their colours and are now desperate to add a few other lovely pieces. They are also appreciating their local independent shops more, after many went to great lengths to make deliveries during lockdown.
Q: Are they planning for Christmas?
Customers feel Christmas is really worth celebrating this year after everything we have all been through; they think it is worth treating their homes like a comfort blanket and making them gorgeous. They want to make the things they have control over as beautiful as possible. At The Emporium we will certainly be making as much effort with Christmas as we always do and we have some new suppliers on board this year, so I am really excited.
Q: What colour trends are you currently seeing in interiors?
There are three main colour groups for autumn, winter and Christmas, starting with a full spectrum greens, from soft pale and lime shades to dark jade. Then amber or caramel fudge is seeing a resurgence, which is lovely as it warms everything up. In addition, we are seeing a smoky dark blue, which sits beautifully alongside charcoal and smoky grey.
- 1 Win a diamond ring worth £1,000
- 2 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 3 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 4 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 5 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 6 Win a watercolour painting of Gosfield by artist James Merriott
- 7 Discover new arts trail in St Austell celebrating China Clay
- 8 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 9 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
Q: What else is popular for the home this season?
Botanicals are still going strong and obviously at Christmas foliage is especially apt. We are also seeing quite a lot of glassware, in vases and baubles, bringing a light and elegant feel – and this is also coming through in candelabras, while a touch of softness is appearing in faux fur, luxurious velvets and fringing.
Q: What would your top 10 Christmas choices from The Emporium be this year?
1. Nkuku, Mbata cluster candelabra (£69.95)
2. Neom, Time for Real Luxury gift set (£32)
3. Bloomingville, glass votive (£10)
4. Neom, well-being pod essential oil diffuser (£90)
5. Walton & Co, Cosy Cloud throw (£21)
6. Parlane Living, Kyla coupe glasses (£28, set of two)
7. Pilgrim special occasion jewellery (£10-00)
8. Walton & Co, silver star napkin ring (£4)
9. Heaven Sends, pine and bell hoop wreath (£39)
10. Nkuku, Bouka glass baubles in amber and indigo (from £16.95, set of four)