10 events and things to do in Hampshire - June 2016
- Credit: Archant
Charlotte Tomlinson-White has scoured the county to bring you the top events taking place this month
The magical story of the world’s favourite Nanny is brought to life with dazzling choreography, incredible effects and unforgettable songs in this award-winning musical. Brilliantly adapted from the stories by PL Travers and the Walt Disney film, enjoy songs like Jolly Holiday, Step in Time and Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, as well as new songs from the Olivier award-winning British team of George Stiles and Anthony Drewe.
• When: Until June 19
• Where: Mayflower Theatre, Commercial Road, Southampton, SO15 1GE, 02380 711811, www.mayflower.org.uk
Jazz and Beer
Relax on the lawn and soak up panoramic views over the South Downs as you listen to the sounds of the Harry Strutters jazz trio (12–3pm). Bring a picnic and treat dad to a Father’s Day pint from the beer tent. Plus there’s beer tasting in the café, courtesy of local brewers, Ballard’s. The café will also be serving a special Hampshire gin called Silverback. Don’t forget to check out the exhibition by Japanese artist Takumasa Ono in the house.
- 1 7 must visit waterside pubs in Sussex
- 2 10 Cheshire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 3 10 North Yorkshire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 4 10 Lancashire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 5 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 6 10 Derbyshire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 7 10 Somerset pubs to enjoy a drink with a view
- 8 WIN £200 worth of luxury silk bed products
- 9 6 luxury places to stay in Suffolk
- 10 18 cottages that will make you want to move to Hampshire
• When: June 19
• Where: Uppark House and Garden, South Harting, Petersfield, GU31 5QR, 01730 825415, nationaltrust.org.uk/uppark-house-and-garden
The first ever Test Valley Garden and Literary Festival will be held this month. Set in the idyllic grounds of historic Bere Mill, beside the River Test, the festival will feature a ‘Britagne’ and Cocktail Gala on the Saturday and family fun on the Sunday, as well as an exciting array of inspirational and informative speakers on horticulture, gardening, literature, art and poetry. In aid of the North Hampshire Medical Fund, this special weekend is not to be missed.
• When: June 11 and 12
• Where: Bere Mill Farm, Whitchurch, RG28 7NH, www.testvalleyfestival.co.uk
Discover the art of turning local seasonal ingredients into delicious modern classics in this hands-on, five hour, gastro cookery course.
• When: June 17, 10am – 3pm
• Where: Newlyns Cookery School, Lodge Farm, North Warnborough, Hook, RG29 1HA, 01256 704128, www.newlyns-farmshop.co.uk
Enjoy an exclusive tour of Emma at 200: from English Village to Global Appeal with Dr Dow.
• When: June 19, 21 and 23, 2.30pm
• Where: Chawton House Library, Chawton, Alton, GU34 1SJ, 01420 541010, www.chawtonhouse.org
A Good Egg
Expect a cocktail of stand-up comedy, striking innovation and extreme multi-tasking in George Egg’s Anarchist Cook.
• When: June 11, 8pm
• Where: Winchester Discovery Centre, Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8SB, 01962 873603
Don’t miss your chance to help record as many different species of animals and plants as possible around the varied habitats of Newtown on the Isle of Wight in its first ever BioBlitz. Celebrating its 21st birthing, the Isle of Wight’s National Nature Reserve is a beautiful and haunting landscape of wild flower meadows, woodland, creeks, waterways and marsh. Join teams from the National Trust and Isle of Wight Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and race against the clock to carry out one of its largest ever surveys of wildlife in the area.
• When: June 2, 10am – 4pm
• Where: Newtown National Nature Reserve, Town Lane, Newtown, Isle of Wight, PO30 4PA, 01983 741020, nationaltrust.org.uk/newtown-national-nature-reserve
Immerse yourself in the energy and experience the power of the most successful touring taiko drum group on this continent. Celebrating 21 years on the road, Mugenkyo fuse the traditional spirit of taiko with a modern stage performance creating a spellbinding display of sheer athleticism. Enjoy thundering rhythms, mysterious masked choreography, post-apocalyptic martial imagery and infectious belly laughing humour.
• When: June 25, 7.30pm
• Where: New Theatre Royal, 20-24 Guildhall Walk, Portsmouth, PO1 2DD, 02392 649000, www.newtheatreroyal.com
Venture out of this world and join the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in outer space with The Planets – An HD Odyssey. This multimedia, multi-sensory event features the latest HD photos and moving images from NASA, brought to life in vivid form with the orchestra’s performance of Holst’s The Planets.
• When: June 17, 7.45pm
• Where: The Anvil, Churchill Way, Basingstoke, RG21 7QR, 01256 844244
Get ready for all things tiger striped this summer half term at Marwell Zoo! Meet and find out more about the Amur tigers ¬ learn how they spend their days, what their favourite foods are and how tigers survive in the wild. With tiger themed trail, roarsome face painting and stickers, it’s purrrfect family fun!
• When: Until June 5
• Where: Marwell Zoo, Thompsons Lane, Winchester, SO21 1JH, 01962 777407, www.marwell.org.uk