26 Reasons to love Colchester
- Credit: Archant
Why do we love Colchester? Maybe because of its rich, interesting history or maybe it’s the vibrant and modern culture, the list is almost endless
1. As the oldest town in Britain its ancient and diverse history reaches back almost 2,000 years.
2. There’s Colchester Castle, the largest Norman Keep in Europe and one of England’s most important heritage sites.
3. Or the amazing Victorian landmarks like the ‘Jumbo’ water tower.
4. Today it’s a thriving, modern metropolis…
5. With plenty of amazing attractions for visitors and locals alike such as Colchester Zoo,
7. And the Beth Chatto Gardens.
8. Foodies will be in heaven discovering the world class restaurants…
9. Traditional tea and coffee shops…
10. Rustic pubs…
- 1 Win a diamond ring worth £1,000
- 2 Photography focus: 5 stunning Yorkshire Dales landscapes
- 3 From The Dig to Harry Potter - 5 films shot in Suffolk
- 4 How you can walk in the footsteps of Dracula in Whitby
- 5 Win a watercolour painting of Gosfield by artist James Merriott
- 6 Afternoon tea deliveries in Norfolk
- 7 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 8 5 of the most romantic walks in Yorkshire
- 9 Hideen gems in the Peak District - Noon Stones circle, Birchover Triangle, Bleaklow Head
- 10 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
11. Or one of the many regular farmer’s markets.
12. You can treat yourself to cocktails at Memoirs…
13. Before catching a fantastic show at The Mercury Theatre.
14. There’s a huge range of shops selling the latest and greatest High Street brands at Culver Square…
15. And an assortment of charming, independent shops at the Lion Walk too.
16. The town is positively bursting with arts and culture. Immerse yourself in the modern visual arts at Firstsite…
17. Or admire the professional contemporary art at Minories Art Gallery.
18. Colchester and the surrounding areas have plenty of stunning vistas just begging to be photographed, like this…
19. Or this.
20. What better way to experience these than stretching your legs on an afternoon stroll along one of the many walking routes like the ‘Town to Sea trail…
21. You can even take the dog.
22. The point is, Colchester is great…
23. Whether it’s a day trip around the town…
24. Or a weekend break in one of the many fabulous hotels, such as Prested Hall
25. Or Maison Talbooth.
26. We love Colchester because there’s something for everyone.
Did you enjoy this?
Here are 9 other fabulous Essex towns you need to visit!