5 reasons to visit Limpsfield
- Credit: Archant
This area of East Surrey has a superb village vibe with its own community-run pub
A superb community-owned pub with stylish interiors and a mouthwatering menu, The Bull Inn is a friendly destination for a very decent feed. Grab a pint of the local Titsey Brewing Co and settle down for some good food. As with all pubs and restaurants at the moment, the usual rules apply.
One of the largest surviving historic estates in Surrey, Titsey’s impressive manor house and beautiful gardens are one of our county’s true hidden gems and have been home to some of the nation’s most powerful families over the generations. They are closed for the winter season, but the area offers plentiful walks, and you can even hike up to Botley Hill Farmhouse and its Sheep Shed tearoom should the urge strike.
As with The Bull Inn, Limpsfield Memorial Stores is a community concern and began its current chapter when the previous owner needed to sell. That was in 1997, and the local residents who stepped in to bring new life to the place have not looked back since. It operates as a Post Office as well as local store and has a volunteer roster of more than 60 people. You will find fresh bread, fruit and veg and other produce, as well as household essentials there.
On the edge of the Greensand Ridge, the ancient Limpsfield Common was used by commoners for grazing their animals and collecting stone and firewood. These days it is a wonderful place to explore the outdoors on food, by bike or horse. There is an old Roman road to saunter along too. The hugely popular Peter Rabbit’s Post Office and the animal houses are found here, although at the time of writing are closed to the public.
Formerly in Oxted town centre, Meldon House & Home now has a taste for village life with its beautifully curated collection of upcycled, revived, pre-loved furniture and homewares (as well as select contemporary additions). It is a treasure trove for anyone with a discerning eye.
- 1 Star cast unveiled for new ITV crime drama set in North Devon
- 2 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 4 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 5 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 6 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 7 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 8 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Cornwall this Halloween
- 9 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 10 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Somerset this Halloween