5 things you should know about Bawtry
- Credit: Archant
Something for everyone
Packed with history
In 2010, archaeologists unearthed a dozen skeletons off Tickhill Road. The remains date from the 14th century when a hospital run by monks was located there. St Nicholas Church dates even further back as it was founded around 1200. However, it only became Bawtry’s Parish Church during the Victorian times.
A place to shop
The Bawtry Retail Association has helped bring back the town’s traditional market which took place each Sunday until the 1980s. The farmers market now trades on the first and third Saturday of the month at The Courtyard, which was built in 2000 on land where the market used to be held. Find great buys such as homemade produce and baked goods as well as gifts and jewellery.
A theatrical life
Beginning life in 1932 at a hall, Bawtry’s thriving Phoenix Theatre is now located in a converted chapel on Station Road. The theatre society produces around four productions per year, and has celebrity connections too.
- 1 Win a luxury Christmas hamper worth £250 from Bakers & Larners of Holt
- 2 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 3 Win an amazing festive break for two in Devon
- 4 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 5 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 6 Win a £1000 rug from Alternative Flooring
- 7 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 8 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021
- 9 Magical Christmas markets in Kent 2021
- 10 Win a £50 voucher to spend at the Cheltenham Christmas market
People in Bawtry like to be involved. Charity fundraising events are held regularly such as Robinsons of Bawtry annual fashion show held for many years in aid of organisations such as Yorkshire Cancer Research. Up to last year the event had raised more than £250,000. And members of Bawtry Retail Association are more than generous with prizes donated for competitions and fundraising events.
Somewhere to stay
The four-star Crown Hotel 01302 710341 www.crownhotel-bawtry.com is a great place to stay in luxury. Their restaurant is highly recommended too.
Caviars of Bawtry 01302 710006 www.caviarsofbawtry.com is situated on a quiet side street. Serving fine food in an intimate setting, it’s a great venue for a special meal.
The White Hart (01302 710440) is the oldest surviving pub in Bawtry, dating back to 1689. Enjoy real ale here after a stroll around the town and its surrounding countryside.