A mini-guide to staying in St Bees
- Credit: Ben Barden
St Bees is a part of The Countrywide Great Tour route this summer.
The Countrywide Great Tour begins on 4 July 2015 and takes place over 64 days visiting various coastal locations across the UK.
Cyclists will begin to arrive in St Bees on the afternoon of 8th July after a ride up the coast from Ulverston.
The remoteness of St Bees made it a suitable location for a Benedictime monastary, nowadays it's the perfect retreat from your everyday hustle and bustle.
With a population of just 1,800, as of 2011, St Bees is an intimate little cove of bliss. Visit the cosy coastal village to embark on a journey of rich heritage and picturesque landscapes.
Famous for its cliff-tops and untouched landscapes, St Bees is the perfect escape from bustling city life. Follow the cliff-top path north toward Fleswick Bay, which is the first part of the Coast to Coast walk, the only designated coastal heritage walk in Cumbria.
St Bees has one of the highest achieving schools in Cumbria; St Bees School is a 400 year old, historic home of excellence. Jonny English star, Roman Atkinson attended St Bees School before finding fame on the big screen.
- 1 The incredible Cornish stone structures with an exceptional history
- 2 Scotney Castle makes an appearance in Netflix's The Sandman
- 3 Win a luxury 2-night Lake District getaway to the Skiddaw Hotel worth £500
- 4 These 6 Norfolk beaches have been awarded the Blue Flag for 2022
- 5 Win the Cobra MX3440V Cordless Lawnmower
- 6 5 wild swimming spots in Cheshire
- 7 Have you tried this French-style brasserie in Coggeshall?
- 8 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 9 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 10 Inside the home of 70s style guru Estelle Bilson
St Bees Priory
Aside from the beautiful architectural features, The grade 1 listed Benedictine church can also boast of a wealth of history dating back more than 1000 years
01946 822279 www.stbeespriory.org
Eat and Stay
A converted old railway statio, Lulu’s only has three room to stay in but you will be heading here for a bite to eat even if you’re not lucky enough to get a room. Offering a superb international menu and elegant selection of wines, Lulu’s Bistro is an excellent place to dine, they even have an Early Bird Thai menu
01946 822600 www.lulusbistro.co.uk
Do you want to take part in the Great tour? To enter, head over to the Countrywide Great Tour website.